Arc 2.9

How had this elf known? His eyes narrowed suddenly. Could it be that he was not the only one who was reborn? Basil would not be so surprised, after all his own rebirth was beyond his comprehension, he had thought he was going to hell after the last blast but when he had opened his eyes again, he was in his small home in the middle of the forest.
His eyes were narrowed and thoughtful when he looked at Shen Jiyu. But it did not add up, if Haldir was reborn, shouldn't the first thing he would do was to run to his mother shouting on the top of his voice about the evil that the devil spawn would commit in the future.
It did not add up and thinking further made his head hurt.
In the face of Absolute power, there were no such things as schemes and plots.
If he had already devoured the power of the Demon Elf, he would overpower Haldir and easily force him to confess. His eyelashes fluttered and his jaw clenched, he was still too weak, to fight against his classmates, not to mention Haldir. With this thought, Basil lowered his head and took a step backwards.
His action made Shen Jiyu to sigh deeply and he reached forward and patted the younger male's head, "Basil, don't think too much about it. There are a lot of things we still don't know about the herbs in Elvina. Herbs are constantly evolving and each evolution brings countless possibilities when combined with other things. For example when you mix nuwood and watermelon, it would create a liquid that should be taken before…" At this moment Shen Jiyu stopped and the tips of his ears turned red. He coughed, "What I am trying to say is that different herbs and fruits mixture can bring about different reactions, it is not your fault, one should do their utmost best to be careful."
His hand was warm, Basil thought, frowning a little when the warmth was taken away. He  resisted the urge to place his hand on his head as if he wanted to retain some of the warmth that he had been given. He looked up and listened intently to the words that were leaving Haldir's mouth.
"What are the effects of the mixture of Nuwood and watermelon?" Basil asked, he had not heard of such mixture before.
Shen Jiyu coughed again, he turned to the left to look at the trees, "You are too young to know."
Basil died at forty two years old and he would be eighteen years next week, what has he not seen or heard off before. He rolled his eyes when he caught sight of the most interesting thing, Hadlr's pale ears were completely dyed red, its color was even more beautiful than the lustrous red grapes in his basket. His throat felt a little dry and he hastily looked away.
"You know a lot about herbs, why did you become an acolyte and not a herbalist?" Basil asked.
Shen Jiyu's eyes danced with nostalgia as he locked his gaze with similar argent eyes. In the background of his mind, he could see Feng Mian as he peered down into the claypot of bubbling red mix, "Your Grace, can it truly cure Xu Ran's scars? I never thought the Blood Lotus Root could be used in such a manner." Feng Mian's beautiful silver orbs narrowed into a teasing glint, "Has Your Grace ever thought of opening a store that deals in herbs and herb concoctions. Alchemists would easily go out of business because of you."
Shen Jiyu had just chuckled. How could he consider something like that, he was the Realm Master of Penglai and Clan Head of the Shen Family, did he have such free time on his hand? Aside from his responsibility, everything he loved was just a hobby, there was no need to think too much about it.
Blinking, he pushed away his memories.
Basil watched as the nostalgic look in Haldir's faded faded and was replaced by a lazy arrogance. He had never seen such a look in Haldir's face before but somehow, Basil felt that the look was better suited to him than his usual appearance.
Haldir moved closer to him and dusted some leaves that was stuck on his cloths, "I can teach you. Everything I know about herbs, I can teach you." Haldir looked down at Basil through lowered lids. The expression on his face was like he would move unbridled through the forests of Elvina, but when Haldir met his gaze, his blue eyes were very soft, like the baby leaves of the delphinium flower, it made his hands itch.
So beautiful. If he was to ever kill Haldir, he would definitely pluck out those eyes and keep them with him forever.
There was a strange silence before the loud flapping of wings sounded in the distance. Basil immediately moved backward and lowered his head, his long hair covering his face, giving him a weird countenance.
"You.." Shen Jiyu sighed as two sets of students flew down, they were about six in number as they soon crowded him the moment they landed.
"Hadir!"
"Haldir, Our group was the first."
The students struggled as they pushed each other to present their baskets to him. Shen Jiyu looked through it, offering corrections when he could and telling them when they picked the wrong herb. From the corner of his eyes, he saw Basil retreating deeper into the forest and he sighed again.
Baby steps.
Half a day later, as twilight finally descended, Shen Jiyu packed up to go back home. The class was empty and his actions brought an echo with every movement.
Something flew out from nowhere and a young man with white hair and white wings appeared on the teacher's desk. He flapped his wings and flew around as if enjoying the extra appendage that was joined to his shoulder blade.
After a few minutes, Shen Jiyu, who had been watching him silently, said coldly, "Are you done having fun?"
Xiao Shu blushed and adopted a professional attitude, "Realm Master, what are we going to do this time around? Are we going to make him regret the obsession again? Drive him crazy with grief and guilt."
Shen Jiyu felt a little embarrassed and he sat back down on the chair and crossed his legs, "How could you suggest something so cruel? Tsk. Tsk. That is a little too mean."
Xiao Shu widened, and he stood up from the desk, a little lost. He pointed to himself in confusion, "Me, cruel?"
Shen Jiyu naturally ignored his shock at being accused unfairly, "This time we are not going to be so extreme. We are just going to show him that the obsession does not have much hold. It is not needed. Why do people want power? In order to live a happy and fruitful life, whether it be wealth, recognition, friends and happiness. Once Basil gets all this, he would not be fixated on power anymore."
Xiao Shu's expression was a little solemn and he suddenly understood what his senior brother had told him. There was a big difference between the mindset of born Immortals and ascended immortals.