Arc 1.18

"What are you scheming? Why do you look like you want to commit murder." Shen Jiyu teased as he walked towards Nian Zhen.

Nian Zhen blinked innocently before he pushed his glasses up. Dressed in a white shirt and black trousers, he was the very picture of an elite office worker. An image that he used to his advantage all the time.

"You are thinking too much! You did well today." Nian Zhen said softly as he handed a black credit card to Shen Jiyu who hurriedly grabbed it with a grin. He threw it up and down, his smile growing ever wider as he thought of all of the restaurants that he would splurge in. 

"Finally, you are acting like..." Shen Jiyu paused. Nian Zhen had the same calm smile on his face but Shen Jiyu felt like something was wrong. "Is everything alright? Is it the card, you don't need to give me a bonus. I already have a salary."

His words made Nian Zhen's lips twitch in amusement, "How many times must I tell you? I am rich. Rich enough that I would not feel it even if you spent all the money on the card."

However, his words did nothing to calm Shen Jiyu down, his eyes narrowed once again, "Because of Mu Ze, right? He is your top money maker after all."

Nian Zhen was speechless and left lost. How on earth did Mu Ze enter this discussion? "He is your Senior." He remembered to remind Shen Jiyu as he looked left and right. It would not do if a story is carried that Lu Yan did not respect his seniors. The media would have a field day with this one as he had not yet any scandal of Lu Yan cross the internet.

Shen Jiyu hummed non-committedly as he sighted Mu Ze gazing at the both of them from a distance. He moved even closer to Nian Zhen, using his body to block Mu Ze's line of sight as he leaned down to whisper in a more conspiratory tone to Nian Zhen, "Are you sure you are alright?"

Nian Zhen felt his ears tingle and their beautiful tips were flushed red. He stepped back. "I have to go back to work. Go and have fun with Xiao Shu." He turned and walked away.

Shen Jiyu looked at his back profile, why did it look like Nian Zhen was running away? Was it guilt? Had he begun to feel guilt for all his schemes? 

"Shen Ge!" Xiao Shu smiled happily from behind him, "I did not know that you can act this well. As expected of the Realm Master, everything you do is mastered well."

Shen Jiyu coughed slightly before he shrugged his shoulders, "It was nothing." He said as he watched Nian Zhen exchange a few words with the directors before he left the set.

"Is it just me or is he walking twice as fast?" Shen Jiyu asked Xiao Shu who squinted his head and shook his head. 

"No, I believe that is his usual pace."

This was the fastest pace Nian Zhen could manage without looking like he was running. He entered the car and turned on the Ac, a complicated expression on his face.

Why was his heart pounding so terribly? He took a deep breath and pulled out a bottle of water to drink. 

Thinking of the call, Nian Zhen turned more pensive, who should he take to the night drinks with the shareholders and president? He looked in the direction of the set, he was supposed to take Lu Yan there today.

That man would be there and he would not be able to take his eyes off Lu Yan, who bore a remarkable resemblance to his lover from his college days. He had planned everything for so long, for six months he had subtly influenced Lu Yan's thoughts and beliefs similar to that man.

That pit had been dug so why was he hesitating? What was wrong with him? Just when did he become so weak and sympathetic?

"Ahhhhhhh!" Nian Zhen screamed till his voice became hoarse and he began gasping for breath. Reaching for the bottle, he took several sips of water but that did nothing to calm him down. He wanted to smash something, wanted to calm the conflicting emotions in his chest.

A loud ring came from his phone which he had tossed onto the passenger seat. Nian Zhen took a deep breath before he picked up the call.

"Mimi! How was the photo session?" His voice was polite and warm, causing the person on the other side of the photo to relax automatically.

"It went great. We finished on time. Zhen Ge, what is wrong with your voice, are you sick?"

"A little but I took some drugs."

"Is it because of what happened at that party last week? Did my dad scold you? Sorry for all the stress." Her voice got quieter the more she spoke.

"It is alright. I am your manager; it is my job to take care of all that stuff for you. Just do your best to behave before your interview with CIN next week." Nian Zhen said.

"Zhen Ge, you are the best. I called to ask you for a favour. I heard that you are going to a party this evening. Chu Rong is going to be there, isn't he?"

Nian Zhen tapped his fingers on the steering wheel as he thought. Chu Rong was a genius songwriter who had been signed under Shang Zhen entertainment recently. Why was Mimi asking about him? He was handsome so could it be that she has a crush on him?

Nian Zhen did not mind the artist under him having relationships or scandals. On a  normal basis, he would just cover it up and keep a copy of the photos just in case they ever thought of crossing him.

"Yes, I think he would be there." 

"Then Zhen ge, can I come with you? It would be somehow if you come alone, wouldn't it be?"

Nian Zhen paused in the drumming of his fingers. It was not a bad idea. Mimi was from a rich background so no shareholder would think of the unspoken rules with him. He glanced over at the shooting set one last time. 

It would also give him enough time to put his thoughts in order and regulate his emotions. He would be seeing him in person again after three years. Nian Zhen could feel his emotions boiling as a chilling smile appeared on his face.

"Mimi, it would be my honour. I would speak to your stylist. It will begin at 9 so you should get a little sleep right now."

"Really! Zhen ge, thank you! You are the best."