Arc 1.17

Lu Yan's black orbs were extremely calm and indifferent like an ancient still pool, when they swept past Nian Zhen, they did not contain any trace of emotion as if he was…was nothing. 

An unfamiliar emotion suddenly filled Nian Zhen's chest and the cup slipped from his hand and fell on the fall causing a loud sound to echo in the now silent shooting set.

It was so raw and so painful. He gasped and his eyes involuntarily watered. What was this feeling? Why was he feeling so terrible? 

Nian Zhen closed his eyes and it was as if he was transported somewhere fantastical. 

There were strange plants so beautiful that it could not be real, the sky was so clear and the air, Nian Zhen seemed to take a breath and his entire lungs were filled with an energy so pure and powerful, he could not begin to describe. 

He was in the midst of a large number of people standing in front of long white stairs and yet at the same time it did not feel crowded. Was he daydreaming? Had he fainted? 

"He is here! The Realm Master is here!" Someone not far away shouted and Nian Zhen wondered to himself, what kind of title is that? 

However, it was as if his body had a different thought as he felt it move against his will as he struggle to make his way to the front of the ground. 

"Excuse me!" He heard himself repeat severally as he pushed several people making his way to the front of the huge crowd. 

A tall young man walked to the edge of the stairs. He wore a red brocade gown with golden seams embroidered at the edges. His long black hair looked soft and was pinned up with a golden tiger hair crown.

He stood and faced the crowd who continued to chant his name. 

The young man was exceptionally handsome. His features were just right as if he had been handcrafted by heaven itself without a hint of imperfection. His blue eyes were extremely cold and indifferent, they looked down at the crowd and no trace of emotions could be found within their depths. 

"Ah!" Nian Zhen gasped out loud. He could feel a kind of agony that dug into the bones, some sort of anguish that tore apart the organs. Why? 

Why did he feel this kind of pain? This kind of fear. 

Bang! A drum sounded from a distance. Everywhere fell silent immediately and the young man turned and began to ascend the stairs. 

"Don't think too much." A gruff voice sounded from beside him.  Nian Zhen turned and a middle-aged man stood there, his gaze was like that of a snake causing Nian Zhen to feel goosebumps. 

"So what if he finds out? To him, you are just a speck of sand, one out of the million immortal officials of the Netherworld. Who gets angry when a dog steals a piece of bone that had been thrown away." 

Nian Zhen felt a rush of anger, he wanted to raise his hand and give this person a hot slap when he felt the muscles of his face contort into a gentle smile and he replied in a calm voice, "A dog. What an apt description for me! Your Highness, you don't need to follow me everywhere. For people like me, our words are our only worth. I have already said I would do it." 

The middle-aged man stared at him darkly before he turned and left. 

Nian Zhen turned and continued to watch the young man ascend the stairs amidst the beats of the drum till his eyes reddened.

The long gown trailed behind the young man, his posture proud and elegant. Like a deity high above in the sky. NianZhen was just a few meters away and yet he felt like the difference between them was like heaven and earth. His hand stretched toward as if to catch the edge of his robe… to hold on to this person. 

Nian Zhen's mind was sharply pulled back when he felt someone shaking him. He hurriedly reached out and grabbed him instinctively, his grasp tight, he did not want to let go. 

Lu Yan's loud and arrogant voice sounded in front of him, "Did you suddenly think that I am capable of making a lot of money for you and the Agency so you can't bear to let me go."

Nian Zhen blinked, just now realizing what he had done. His heart pounded faster and he felt the temperature of Lu Yan's was so hot that it could burn him. He hurriedly let go and took a deep breath to calm himself down. 

He gazed up at Lu Yan's bright eyes and the way he relaxed on the director's chair. Why did he feel a sense of similarity between Lu Yan and the fantastical image he had conjured up in his mind? 

"I am sorry. I was a little distracted just now." He said, wondering why he had gotten such a script to play in his mind. Was he overly stressed? 

"So you were not watching my scene. What was it, what were you thinking about?"

"You!" The word slipped from Nian Zhen's lips causing a smile to appear on Shen Jiyu's face.

He watched as Lu Yan leaned back on the leather chair, like a cat that has just been pleasantly stroked, "Of course, after such a performance; who else would you be thinking about?"

And just like that, he was no longer angry. Nian Zhen smiled faintly at Lu Yan. He was really so different, it has been six months and yet his eyes were still so clear. He was as proud as a peacock but at the same time, he worked very hard. Singing, Dancing, Interview giving and foreign languages. His teachers never had anything bad to say about him. In fact, he was mostly aloof and silent with them but when facing him, he always turned into a spoiled, proud cat. Trusting him to show him his true self.

Some people were destined to be great, 'Lu Yan, what sin did you commit in your past life for you to meet me?" Nian Zhen pondered quietly as he watched the other. Maybe, he should let him go. 

The moment the thought flashed in Nian Zhen's mind, his phone rang. Excusing himself, he stood up and went to the side to pick it up. 

"President Gu! Good afternoon." He greeted the chairman of Shangzhen with a smile.

"Manager Nian, we have changed the location of today's gathering. We would be expecting a guest today so we have to go all out. Better dress well and come with some of your artists so they can pour wine and sing a few songs. What is that new one? Lu Yan, you can bring him." 

Nian Zhen's hand tightened around the phone, "Rest assured, President Gu." After bidding farewell, he closed the phone and skipped it back into his pocket. 

A guest? Someone who even President Gu would mention with such respect. There was only one person. 

"What are you scheming? Why do you look like you want to commit murder?" A teasing voice sounded from his side.