Arc 1.19

Nian Zhen opened the car door and Mimi stepped out of the car. They were at Le Laux, one of the most luxurious clubhouses in the city. It was clear that Shang Shen Entertainment was going all out for the guest they were expecting to receive this night.

Mimi smiled charmingly, "I have been here only once on my 21st birthday. It is pretty pricey." 

Nian Zhen nodded in response to her words, "It is a meeting with the shareholders, the president would naturally try his best." A valet was soon next to them to collect their car and park the vehicle. The security of the clubhouse was top notch so Nian Zhen was not worried about being seen with Mimi by the paparazzi.

"Manager Nian, you are here! Come, come and have a seat. Oh! You came with Mimi as well. Mimi, you are looking very pretty tonight." The middle-aged president stood up to give Mimi a kiss on the cheek and Nian Zhen a pat on the back.

"Mimi! You came!" A mixed-raced actress said with slight shock before she smiled widely and came around to hug her before she led her to where some artists were chatting and drinking.

Nian Zhen watched them leave before he looked at the president who although he was smiling, did not look happy one bit.

"You brought Mimi. You know her father works in the government. What about that new artist that I asked you to bring."

Nian Zhen could feel a trace of anger and disgust. "I might have pushed him too much for this new role. He fainted due to low sugar, I have to push Mimi's schedule aside so I would not come empty. And before you ask, apart from Mu Ze, none of my artists are in the city currently."

The small beady eyes of the president looked at him with scrutiny as if he was trying to find a piece of lie in his words. When he was not successful, he relented and gestured to the four men who were sitting down around a table that was filled with expensive drinks.

"Let me introduce you."

"Mr Zhong, this is Manager Nian. Manager Nian, this is Mr Zhong, he is the one who generously sponsored our new company dorm for the trainee."

Nian Zhen smiled gently and flattered the man a bit before he was introduced to the rest of them. In the next ten minutes, he had already fit right in as he encouraged them as they talked about their business, their infidelity and all the places where they had fun while inviting him to come along with him.

Mr Zhong said another unhumorous joke and the president laughed while drinking a cup of water.  His phone rang and his eyes widened, he said solemnly, "Mr Xiu is here." 

Nian Zhen clenched the glass in his hand tight and closed his eyes trying to restrain his bubbling emotions. It has been three years, three years since he last saw this person.

"Ah! Sorry for keeping you waiting, The person at home was having a bad day. I could only coax her." A low and charming voice echoed in the now silent room, "I would buy the next round as an apology."

Nian Zhen opened his eyes. Xui Fan stood at the entrance of the room. He was not your conventional CEO. He was very handsome and tall, standing over 180 meters. He did not possess an aura that made one stay away but he was affable and had an approachable aura to him.

Nian Zhen seemed to weigh a thousand kilograms as it landed on the heir of the Xui Family.  With a few words, he had already erased the misgivings of these investors who had waited for over an hour. The fire in his black eyes burned as he looked around to see the large smile on everyone's face when they looked at Xui Fan.

The President laughed loudly, "Women. When I told my wife that I was going to a business meeting, she insisted she comes along. Hahah!"

Everyone laughed along including Nian Zhen,

"Haha!" The voice was his but at the same time, they felt so foreign in his ears. He wanted to say something, to mention that coaxing a wife was not a good reason to keep people waiting but no words left his lips. Whenever he faced this person, he felt a kind of helplessness that reached his soul.

Xui Fan cracked a few more jokes before he sat down at the head of the table. The President hurried to pour him a glass of wine and Xui Fan shook his head.

"You are older than me, why would I allow you to pour the wine?" Xui Fan said before he took the bottle and poured the wine for each shareholder, why he reached Nian Zhen's turn, he paused and a smile appeared on his face, "Xiao Zhen. I almost did not recognize you, How have you been? How long has it been? Three years?"

"Mr Xui, you know Manager Nian?" The president asked curiously.

Xui Fan looked shocked before a nostalgic and sad smile appeared on his face, "Manger? He is a manager in your company. Xiao Zhen and I grew up together. His father was a mentor to me. Xiao Zhen graduated with honours from Harvard business in America. If you were having problems, why did you not come to me? How could you go to0m work at an entertainment company?" As if realizing what he had said, he then looked around apologetically.

Everyone's eyes seemed to be shining with stars. The President shook his head, "don't worry about that? Mr Xui you are a really good person, no wonder the youth are clamouring for you to become the mayor. Ah! Manager Nian, why did you not contact Mr Xui, you should not only be concerned about your pride?"

The helplessness that Nian Zhen felt turned to anger as he was overwhelmed with disgust. His hands trembled with rage and his chest boiled with intense hatred.

It was as if he had gone back to that year. He had just come home from school, only for him to find his family in tatters. Due to Xui Fan's hard efforts, his father's company had gone bankrupt and he was admitted to the hospital for a heart attack.

Nian Zhen had crashed Xui Fan's birthday party where he was celebrating his enthronement as the Xui Clan's official heir. He had faced this person who he had grown up admiring and had condemned him in front of the entire upper elite but he had stood in the middle of the hall alone that day. 

Xui Fan was further humiliated by saying that he would take care of his studies and his parents. But it was not his words that made Nian Zhen's heart turn cold and clammy, it was the words of the other attendee. People that he had grown up with. It was as if there was a halo on top of Xui Fan's action that made everyone blind. Those people had asked him to thank Xui Fan while praising him to the heavens.

Why? Why? Why would they not see him for who he is?

His father could not handle the shock and died; his mother had committed suicide and yet to the rest of the world, Xui Fan is a hardworking philanthropic. The nation's best husband and family man.

Nian Zhen's eyes were red and it felt like there was a kind of incurable poison that spread from his eyes to the depth of his heart. For some reason, it felt somewhat familiar, like a nightmare he could not remember. 

The anger was like nails piercing his body and he watched quietly as the crowd before he laughed and smiled, their eyes filled with stars as they pandered to Xui Fan who grinned at him.

He would tear it out, that mask, he would let everyone see just what sort of monster lay beneath the man. 

Nian Zhen's nails had since dug into his palms and he swore to himself, he would do anything, he would pay any price, and he would let the whole world know just who that man really is.

Nian Zhen did not know how many cups of wine that he drank. He struggled to stand as the driver opened the door and carried him out. His eyes were blurry but he could make out a figure standing in front of the door as if waiting for him.

He lifted a hand as if to grab hold of that person. He was so far away. He blinked, why did it seem like he was running towards him? 

"Just how much did you drink? You have never been good with wine."

His voice was so nice, Nian Zhen thought. He wanted to listen to him forever.

His voice was like a net. He wanted to jump into it.