Arc 2.19

"There is still no change." Shen Jiyu complained mentally as he sliced the pineapple and apples into small bite shapes.  

A small orb floated around his head, "True, maybe he had a small change of mind but he has not yet let go of the obsession just yet."

"There is no rush. He has his exam earlier tomorrow morning."

It has been a week. More than half of the population of light elves could no longer use their wood energy, while some could use it but just a very small amount. 

Although the court of justice wanted to keep everything a secret, Seliena and her brother could not keep their mouths closed, shocked by the plague that seemed to grip Elvina.

A lot of people had denied it, too stubborn to change their mind but as their family gradually became infected, they stormed the Court of Justice asking for a solution or an antidote.

Shen Jiyu smirked, something that he had crafted himself, they should forget about finding a cure until the plague fades.

He carried the tray to the bedroom, knocking lightly on the closed door. The effects were already spreading, the last time he had gone out with Basil, the gazes of disgust had changed to that of caution. 

He opened the door quietly, books were littered around Basil and he was currently writing something down. He stopped writing, lifted his eyes and smiled. Shen Jiyu could not help smiling in return, he had told Basil before, his smile was extremely beautiful, it was like peonies blooming in the night.

"Here." Shen Jiyu placed the plate on the table. Basil opened his mouth and blinked twice at Shen Jiyu.

"What a young master!" He still picked the wooden fork and fed him a piece of fruit. "How is it?" 

Basil chewed slowly as he continued to stare at Shen Jiyu. After a few seconds, he whispered, "Sweet." It was almost as if he was talking about something else entirely.

Shen Jiyu's hands that were holding the fork shook and he dropped it back on the plate, "I would leave you to it then. If you have any questions, I am in the living room." He turned to go when Basil held him back.

"I have a lot of questions. Here and here." He pointed to the two largest tomes on the table. Shen Jiyu pulled a seat closer to the table and sat down.

It was not just the people of Elvina that were changing, he looked at the handsome young man beside him. The same Basil who refused his help in the forest of Ecuador now asked for it without fear or thinking too much. It was good.

**

In front of the final exams of the Elvina Academy, all were equal. While Basil endured the stares and answered the questions on his paper, Shen Jiyu was unable to break away from the stress as well. He, like so many students' parents, could not bring himself to leave the examination site. 

The sun shone mercilessly on him until he reached the nearest tree and took shelter. He was supposed to be but after he found out that they had put him in an entirely different class from Basil, he had gone ahead to resign.

He would not stay here for long.

"Do we have to wait? Vana sent a summons for you. We should go. If freeing the dark elves is one of the reasons that the Marquis longs for power in this world, once we settle it, the barrier might break."

Shen Jiyu frowned, "Give me a cold drink from your storage. What if I leave and he comes out and does not see anyone? Forget how cold Basil looks at times, he is sensitive."

Xiao Shu rolled his eyes. The Basil that Shen Jiyu saw and the one that everyone else saw were surely different.

A cold can of malt appeared in Shen Jiyu popped it open, the refreshing taste of barley went down his throat and he smiled.

Four hours later, a bell rang and Xiao Shu announced in time, "They have finished their exams."

Shen Jiyu stood up and walked to the group of parents that were waiting at the entrance. The crowd of students that came out of the hall had varying expressions, some looked like their souls had been drawn out of their bodies, while some looked calm and even relaxed.

It did not take up to a minute for Shen Jiyu to see Basil. He was accosted by two female students who were talking to him. Ever since Basil cut his bang and began to raise his head up high to showcase that exquisite face, those who wanted to be his friends increased dramatically like popcorn in a pan.

Shen Jiyu smiled and he waved his hand, "Basil over here."

Basil heard Haldir's voice and automatically smiled, leaving the two elves without a word, he began to run towards Haldir.

Basil suddenly hugged him. Shen Jiyu was so shocked that his whole body froze and his wings fluttered. His chest was closely plastered against Basils', the heat burning through the layers of fabric between them, penetrating right into his bones. He closed his eyes as his eyes were filled with the scent of Basil, it was as if the warmth that surrounded him could melt him, it left him soft as jelly, without any ounce of strength in his body.

"Haldir, thank you! Haldir, I am so happy you came." Thank you for coming into my life. Thank you for being here for me.

Shen Jiyu trembled violently and opened his eyes, both of his arms encircling Basil's waist, pulling him closer. He left no gap between them as he hugged Basil tighter. With each second, the strength Shen Jiyu hugged Basil grew, and there was a sense of desperation as if he was seeking for something but within the desperation, there was restraint and fear.

Basil did not feel pain from the stronghold of his waist. The only distress he felt was the way his heart thrashed in his ribcage, so violently like it was about to jump out of his chest. Blood rushed rapidly through his body and he buried his head in the crook of Haldir's neck. "Haldir." He called him softly.

"Haldir!" A loud gruff voice called out and the spell was instantly broken. Shen Jiyu blinked and saw that they were hugging in front of the school compound and many parents and students were staring at them. It was a hug but Shen Jihyu felt like he had been caught displaying acts of public obscenity, his earlobes turned a bright red and he stepped away from Basil.

"You must have written well for you to be so happy." He tried to salvage the situation but the narrowed eyes of many people let him know his plan was not working. He coughed. They were thinking too much. Feng Mian's hatred, Shen Jiyu knew it too well. 

"The Court of Justice summons you." The gruff male elf delivered the news, turned sharply and walked away. It was just that his pace was too fast for it to be called walking.