Chapter IV: Frigid Minds (Pt.2)

Standing next to Za'Fia, Naomi was a bit shorter, maybe 5'8". She had short, straight, silver hair that barely reached her shoulders. She wore white shoes, ripped jeans, and a cute blue shirt that showed off her figure a little. Over her shirt, she wore a worn-out breastplate. Her natural eyes were brown, and her peach skin appeared surprisingly darker for someone living in such a cold environment. And I could see two dark rings around one of her wrists, along with a light blue marking on the back of her left hand.

      I assumed that was her ascension mark. It was kinda shaped like a snowflake; how cute.

      So, you had a sense of humor back then, huh, I said, teasing Viraa.

      Are you insinuating that I do not have one now?  Viraa retorted.

      "It's been so long since we last hung out," Naomi exclaimed, then looked back at Tymon and said, "Thanks to him."

      Naomi seemed very lighthearted and enthusiastic. It felt invigorating to be among a positive figure for a change. Someone less intimate with doom and gloom.

      Naomi quickly scanned Za'Fia from head to toe.

      "Wow! Look at your outfit! It's beautiful," she exclaimed as she rubbed Za'Fia's glimmering cloak.

      "It is, isn't it? You know, there may be one for you, too, if you come back to Arizona with us," Za'Fia mentioned as she showed off her cloak. "What do you say?"

      "I get to spend time with my best friend and get my own special clothes. Of course, I'll come," she replied cheerfully. "I hated these past couple of years. I wanted to visit you, but your energy was always hidden or near Tymon's, and I wasn't getting anywhere near that."

      She glanced in Tymon's direction, then looked at Trik and me, finally noticing us.

      "Hi! So you're Alissia," She said as she examined me with omni-vision. "Wow, your spirit energy really is unique!"

      "How did you..." I started, but she had moved on to Trik.

      "And you're Trik. I see the repairs went well..." she happily bantered on as her chest plate started shining from reflected sunlight."

      "Um, your armor is shining," I stated while squinting and covering my eyes.

      "Hm. It looks Greek," Trik noted. "We noticed lots of armor inside your cave. Are you collecting?"

      "Good eye; it is Greek," she confirmed. "It's a knack of mine. I like to collect them and wear them for protection. This one was a gift I received long ago."

      "Protection?" I said quizzically. "Protection from who?"

      "From humans, of course," she answered as if that was obvious.

      "But, by our standards, you're invulnerable," I reminded her.

      Naomi's vibes suddenly shifted, causing the hairs on my arms to stand.

      Looking into her eyes, she seemed distant, like she wasn't all the way there. I could actually feel her being pulled away somehow. Then, a cold, jaded persona quickly replaced her childish, chipper personality.

      "Sure, physically," she said in a chilling, distorted voice. The voice was not by any means threatening, but it wasn't overly friendly either. It seemed battered, but there was also a hint of guile. "But our heart can only take so much human cruelty before it breaks."

      Naomi didn't say anything else for a few seconds. She just stood there. Then, it was like a switch was flipped, and Naomi's chipper self returned.

      "Why's everyone just standing here, let's go back inside and talk," she said as she laced her arm with Za'Fia's and led her back to the cave.

      Trik, Tymon, and I stayed back in shock.

      "What just happened?" I asked out loud.

      "From what I can tell, she's had some bad experiences with humans in the past and has developed a second personality to help her cope," Viraa explained. "She always was emotionally fragile."

      "She has a split personality?' I asked for clarification.

      "It seems so, yes," Viraa answered.

      The three of us watched in quiet confusion and slight concern as Naomi led Za'Fia into the cave.

      "Well, that's unexpected," Trik stated sarcastically.

------

Super Supporters: Want to learn everything up-to-date and get exclusive information about your favorite character(s)? Visit the series' Patreon account at patreon.com/primordials

or visit their Ko-fi account at ko-fi.com/otherworldsjt

Media

IG: otherworldsjt

Twitter: jt_fnx

Thank you for your support :)