Chapter XIII: Layered (Pt.2)

"Hm?" he said as he reached for the box.

      He opened the box and pulled out a thin white coat. It had gold-plated cuffs, shoulder plates, and a golden collar with an orange and white scarf sewn into the back neck area beneath it.

      I had to admit it was a bit pretentious, but once he removed the brown cloak and put it on, it went well and fit his demeanor. He almost looked royal.

      "This is well made," Michael said, complimenting the coat.

      "Thank you," my mom replied with a smile of appreciation. "Well, we have a business to run, so we'll be seeing you all later."

      With that, the both of them left, followed by Trik.

      "Where are you going," I asked him.

      "I'm going to watch tv for the rest of the day since you won't be able to find the next Primordial until tonight," he answered.

      Oh, right. I should probably try to figure out how to use my power consciously. Viraa said I'd figure it out, but how?

      "Well, since we're here, I'm gonna use the training room to spar," Za'Fia announced.

      "I'll be your sparring partner," Michael volunteered.

      "Tymon – care to join me in a little sparring match?" she said, ignoring Michael's advance.

      Tymon's mind was clearly elsewhere; as usual, he seemed deep in thought.

      Za'Fia shook him a little and asked him to join her again.

      "Um...sure. Yeah, I need a distraction," he responded.

      As they entered the DIM Room, Michael and I stood outside and watched from the observation window.

      I glanced at Michael, who didn't seem the least bit bothered by being rejected. Instead, he watched their fight intently, focusing on each movement they made.

      "So, what do you like about Za'Fia? Besides, you know, her looks...if you don't mind me asking, of course."

      "She is indeed alluring, isn't she?" Michael replied. "However, my pursuit in Za'Fia does not stem from a place of romanticism. While I am sure a romantic attraction to her would be developed given time together, I seek her out of fascination. She is the only female Primordial who has proven superior to me in terms of strength. Ever since discovering this, she has, for some reason, become even more enticing. I do not understand this motive, but I have pursued her even though she has constantly turned me down."

      "Maybe it's because you're so powerful," I stated. "From my understanding, none of the others are as powerful as you, so it's rare that you get to marvel at someone else for a change. Za'Fia's the only other Primordial you've met who you can do that with since she's stronger than you and could potentially be more powerful than you. It's just a guess, but maybe that's why you find her intriguing."

      "Hmm...perhaps."

      Michael looked down at me.

      "How did you come up with that," he asked.

      "Woman's intuition? I don't know, but you know things may be different now, though..." I said sympathetically.

      "Yes, I've noticed." He responded steadily. "Before, her heart did not belong to anyone, but now that is not the case."

      I get he wasn't in love, but still, it must suck to see that any possibilities that could've happened are now unattainable.

      We both watched Tymon and Za'Fia in silence.

      "Hey, just for clarification, do you plan to stay and help us?" I asked him.

      After a pause, he finally responded.

      "It is my responsibility to protect the lives of this planet. If this Avarice is threatening it with war, then I have no choice but to help prevent it," he answered with conviction.

      "Great, I was really hoping you would," I said, relieved.

      As Tymon and Za'Fia's match continued, I noticed Michael watching Tymon.

      "Everything okay?" I asked him.

      "I was just thinking it's tragic what happened to Tymon to put him in this weakened state," he responded.

      I'd forgotten that, physically speaking, Tymon was underwhelming compared to the others since he was so young.

      "Yeah, he hasn't had much luck, has he? First with the whole torture thing, then after being reborn, he had a rough childhood...."

      I looked at Michael.

      "Speaking of, what was it like for you growing up? I mean, after leaving your mark's cocoon? Any adoptive parents?" I asked him.

      "I did not have any adoptive parents," he began. "I don't remember anything from my childhood, but I suppose it makes sense now due to the function of my ascension mark. My earliest memory was being 17 years old, waking up, floating in a water reservoir beneath a church in England. I couldn't control my spirit energy or cintracies, so it was spread everywhere, mixing with the water. Apparently, that water reservoir was being used by the church's people, so when they baptized others or drank it, they were healed of sicknesses and injuries. By the time I came to, they'd spent years believing their water was blessed. Then, they witnessed me burst through the church floor."

      "Being associated with churches seems to be a reoccurring thing with you," I inputted humorously.

      Michael paused for a second as if thinking about it.

      "Hm. So it seems," he replied light-heartedly. "Anyhow, I was told that upon meeting me, everyone there could feel the warm, healing light radiating from me and immediately knew I was the source of their miracles. Soon afterward, I was being worshipped as an angel sent by their God. Some believed I was their God. Once it got to the point where I couldn't find peace even in my own home, I left. Sadly, this has repeated everywhere I have traveled."

      "I take it you couldn't suppress your energy," I asked.

      "No, not at first, but eventually, I learned on my own," Michael answered. "I had no idea how to use Order either, at least not during my earlier days of traveling, which forced me to learn the importance of money quickly. So, I started volunteering to heal the sick for money to eat. By the time I realized I could survive without food, I'd already made a name for myself. So, I stopped charging for my services since I no longer needed the extra support for food and water and felt guilty for having taken so much money over the years. A century ago, I was discovered by the Russos and learned that I was a Primordial, then understood that I was always meant to help preserve the lives of the weak. I have spent many years since then doing that by healing the diseased or injured.

      "Wow..."

      I was pleased to see that Michael was a pretty selfless guy despite his exterior. I could see why Za'Fia and Naomi would be annoyed with his outer personality, but the layers beneath were much nobler. Maybe they haven't had the chance to see it for themselves.

      "Hm..."

      "What is it?" I asked him.

      "I hadn't meant to divulge that much about me to you. Yet, I felt comfortable enough to," he stated, a little confused.

      "Maybe I'm warming up to you," I offered playfully, giving him a big grin.

------

Super Supporters: Want to learn everything up-to-date and get exclusive information about your favorite character(s)? Visit the series' Patreon account at patreon.com/primordials

or visit their Ko-fi account at ko-fi.com/otherworldsjt

Media

IG: otherworldsjt

Twitter: jt_fnx

Thank you for your support :)