Chapter XIX: Blood Hunt (Pt.1)

Within an hour after their emergence, the twins had fully regained their minds and were taught how things worked among them and how they were expected to follow Avarice and Verin's orders.

      Following that, the concept of cintracies and spirit manipulation was introduced to them, and they displayed their capabilities to Verin and the others.

      Later that night, after spending most of their day learning from the news, the twins had decided to go out on their own, saying it had been ages since they'd last "hunted".

      After receiving a few rules and words of warning, Avarice allowed them to leave.

      "So, Tymon and Za'Fia have gone on their own, huh," Verin stated as she strolled up to Avarice who was still working on his nanites. "I guess you were right about the girl's inexperience splitting the group."

      "Yeah, but the problem is, I don't know what Tymon's up to," Avarice replied, slightly concerned. "I'm certain he's not over what we did to him. Knowing him, whatever he's planning will be something big and drastic."

      "He's been humbled, what, twice now? He's not an actual threat, so regardless of what he does, it'll be pointless," Verin stated as she thought of Tymon attacking them angrily.

      "No, he's not a threat to you and me," Avarice corrected her. "To the others, he'll definitely be a threat should he gain control of his hybrid form. And since he's not stupid enough to come at the two of us directly, he'll likely go after them. In a one-on-one fight, he'd exploit their weaknesses and win."

      "I think you're overestimating the kid," Verin commented.

      "No, you're underestimating him due to his age and having no memories of growing up with him," Avarice retorted calmly. "Each Primordial still have the same personality every time they've reincarnated. So, Tymon is still the same guy I knew back then. He's naturally tenacious, crafty, and calculating, making him someone not to take lightly, even under normal circumstances. Now that he's been shown the gap between us and with his focus being revenge...we might as well start expecting the unexpected."

      "You're awfully calm for someone giving him such high praise," Verin remarked.

      "It's better that I keep a calm head. That way, I'm ready the next time I locate them," Avarice said in a lone tone.

      "What do you mean 'next time you locate them'? You don't know where they are?" Verin questioned.

      Avarice exhaled a slightly shaky breath as he tried to control his frustration over the matter.

      "No, I've searched all over, but none of my senses can find them," he admitted. "We just have to hope that I'm searching when they appear again."

      "Ughh," Avarice grumbled, tapping the table as he thought of the situation. "I'm not letting him strike us preemptively. They're not getting the upper hand... How long will it take to mobilize the Holders?"

      "Three or four days," Verin responded.

      She refrained from grinning. She was already planning to send them to strike the Watchers. Her only problem was convincing him to do it sooner than planned, or she'd have to make the strikes look like accidents. But fortunately, none of that was necessary now.

      "Your tactic to destroy the Watchers; we're commencing it early, but don't destroy the Hearts," he commanded.

      "What? Why are we not going after them?" Verin asked him. She was aiming for a complete wipeout. She wasn't planning to spare anyone.

      "I never said you couldn't go after them; I said don't destroy them," he clarified. "I need the human to fear, not hate me. If she fears me, she'll be less likely to revolt. If she hates me, that'll only fuel her desire to rebel against me. Taking out the other Watchers and subduing her family will allow fear to begin creeping into her heart so that once she witnesses The Primordials' defeat, she'll lose the will to fight. Killing her entire family will only infuriate her and make her vengeful and uncompliant. At that point, undermining everything we strive for will become her sole desire."

      Verin grimaced at the thought of showing mercy to any of them.

      She internally disagreed with this clear misjudgment but knew she'd get nowhere by opposing. Avarice wouldn't budge; she knew that, so she reluctantly agreed to follow the plan.

     While thinking of a way to get around this, something on a nearby TV caught her attention.

      It was a news report about bodies being found that had been brutally mutilated.

      "They're back for less than a day, and they've already eaten multiple people," Verin commented, a little impressed by the mess they left behind. "Although I don't mind the bloodshed, what part of 'low profile' didn't they get?"

      "Yes, I noticed. They've been busy," Avarice stated as he stopped working on his nanites for the night.

      He floated up to his throne while wiping his hands with a handkerchief.

      "Where are they now," Verin asked.

      "Making another mess," Avarice said, sighing as he sat on his throne. "It's always the younger ones who need extra discipline..."

                                                                                                 * * * *