Chapter XII: Through Envious Eyes

It was the morning of November 1st, back home. Now, back in their time zone, they got to relive some of the day again. To Trik's surprise, Mr. and Mrs. Heart weren't present when they arrived. They were told they had a meeting concerning the company to attend and that they wouldn't be available until morning the next day.

      With everything going on, Trik had almost completely forgotten about trivial matters, such as boardroom meetings that the Hearts would have to balance while preparing for war.

      After arriving home, everyone decided to spend the day to themselves. Trik decided to stroll around. It helped him think.

      While floating along the sidewalks of the base, Trik observed how others interacted with each other. The base's internal weather simulator was most likely set for autumn by now, so temperatures on base dropped daily as they approached winter. Today, the temperatures were supposed to be in the low seventies, but with the present winds, it was cold enough to cause the humans to scrunch their bodies and shiver.

      The wind chill didn't bother Trik, but he watched as a human couple passing by huddled together as they waited for the next break in the wind. The girl would place the guy in front of her, his back to the wind, to shield her from the cold. The girl's cheeks were flushed as the two held each other in solace.

      Were they in love? They looked as if they were.

      Trik always struggled with emotions as complex as love. His programming gave him simulated feelings to mirror a human's, but they weren't real. At least not to him.

      He thought he loved Alissia. At least it felt like he did. But that could also be programming built inside of him. His love for her could easily be something added within him to make his duty to protect her easier.

      Refocusing on the couple, Trik observed them in awe. Even if his feelings for Alissia were real, the type of love he wanted to experience wasn't the sibling kind. It was the kind that could shift one's entire world. The kind that makes one nauseous and unable to eat simply by thinking about someone.

      Trik had read plenty of books with that kind of love in them. He often found himself fantasizing about experiencing it for himself.

      But he knew that was impossible.

      A technological being such as himself and a human wouldn't work. Another option would be to ask for a female model of himself, but he wasn't interested in that idea.

      And then recently, the only organic being he's felt infatuated with – his first-ever crush – is evil, has an appetite for chaos, and is most likely in love with her boss, who's only a tad less sinister. Of course, his simulated feelings decided to choose the most incompatible, morally wrong, and unavailable girl to react to.

      Now all he could do was fantasize about something that would never happen.

      Trik looked down at his own unfeeling hands, not a tremor to be seen. Romantics aside, he'd at least like to feel something physical for once...

      Feeling too gloomy to continue his stroll, Trik turned to head back inside. On his way there, he spotted some of the others enjoying themselves.

      Over the wall to his left, Tymon was sitting in a tree, watching the sky. Typical.

      Of course, Za'Fia was nearby on a different branch. Judging from their expressions, their conversation wasn't a light one. Both of them, but particularly Tymon, seemed determined about something.

      Then, Trik noticed a sudden drop in temperatures a distance to his right.

      After flying up and zooming in his vision, he saw Naomi and Alissia playing with kids. They were all playing in snow that Naomi must've manifested for them. They were all standing on top of the water from the large fountain that was now frozen over. Seeing the smiles on each of their faces as they threw snowballs and built snowmen made it feel like the threat that hung over everyone no longer existed.

      It was so wholesome that Trik couldn't help but smile as he continued toward the main building.

      Inside, as he made his way toward his room, Trik passed Michael, who was being bombarded with questions by various Heart members, from history buffs and mythologists to fanatics and doctors.

      Michael didn't seem overwhelmed, though. He seemed happy to be sharing his knowledge with them.

      Trik still wasn't sure about how he felt about Michael. The superior complex and disregarding Alissia as he did. None of that sat right with him.

      His methods were questionable too, but he seemed to have his priorities straight, so Trik couldn't be upset about them. Plus, he valued the lives of others, which made it difficult to choose to hate or respect him.

      For now, Trik decided to leave it up to time to determine. In the meantime, he went into his room and put himself in sleep mode for the rest of the day.

      Tomorrow they'd push onward and figure out what's next.

------

Super Supporters: Want to learn everything up-to-date and get exclusive information about your favorite character(s)? Visit the series' Patreon account at patreon.com/primordials

or visit their Ko-fi account at ko-fi.com/otherworldsjt

Media

IG: otherworldsjt

Twitter: jt_fnx

Thank you for your support :)