Chapter XVIII: Emergence

Avarice laughed in amusement as he sat at the metal desk built into his new machine. He was satisfied with how things were going almost exactly as he predicted.

      He glanced around the laboratory to check on the others.

      He was in the back of the lab where the augmentation tanks were, while Junichiro was a few feet in front of his throne in the center of the lab, meditating and floating above his seat. To the throne's right was a box area with a thick metal wall raised as Verin and Trevor collaborated on their project inside it.

      Suddenly, Wren burst into the laboratory dramatically, muttering, "This is stupid."

      Trevor and Verin came out due to the loud noise, while Junichiro opened his eyes as his meditation was interrupted.

     "Something wrong," Avarice asked with a smirk as he approached her.

      "No, Dad, everything's perfect. I've been trying to spy on your special playthings, but it's been taking agonizingly longer, with me needing to wait for that stupid robot to be gone or asleep. Even with the planted bugs, I don't get a good signal from a thousand miles away. Plus, it wastes all of my day," she ranted before sighing and continuing more calmer, "But, last night when most were asleep, I was finally able to get close without the robot detecting me. I'm not sure exactly why, but Tymon and Za'Fia have separated from the others."

      Verin smiled deviously but remained silent.

      "Yes, I'm aware," Avarice told her, "As for the constant surveillance reports, you all no longer need to do them."

      "Finally," Wren and Trevor said in unison.

      Wren sat down at Junichiro's table and started picking on Trevor by using wind to mess with his hair.

      "Why are we no longer observing them," Junichiro asked as he approached Avarice.

      "As your sister stated, it's not as effective as it used to be," Avarice replied. "Plus, I don't want to risk any of you being caught."

      "We'll be fine. Besides, you can send two at a time if you're concerned about us fighting," Junichiro suggested.

      Avarice smiled patiently at Junichiro and placed a hand on his shoulder.

      "I appreciate your zeal, but we must be careful not to start the war prematurely; otherwise, it'll bring too much attention to us before we're ready for it," he explained. "Moving forward, I'll be personally keeping an ear on them more often so we'll still be up-to-date with their movements."

      "But being a busy man, you won't be able to listen all the time," Junichiro protested. "It doesn't make sense to reduce the surveillance of our enemies, especially when more and more of them are gathering."

      Avarice flashed his eyes at Junichiro.

      "Are you questioning my judgment?" he asked threateningly.

      Junichiro's head lowered some as his body stiffened slightly.

      "No, Father," he responded.

      "Good, now leave me. I have work to do," Avarice said, dismissing him as he returned to his desk.

      As Avarice continued his project, Verin walked up to see what he was doing.

      Avarice placed his hands inside the machine, allowing him to control two surgically precise mechanical arms within it.

      "I've watched you fail multiple times at whatever this is you're trying to accomplish, all while using up our supply of PRP," Verin commented as she observed him curiously. "What exactly are you trying to achieve with all of this?"