Chapter XX: Final Pieces (Pt.3)

This time she didn't block all of it as one of her cheeks was cut, sending blood trickling out of the wound.

      The sight of the blood must've triggered something primal inside both siblings, causing them to attack in a frenzied and ferocious manner.

      With both siblings attacking simultaneously, Naomi stood even less of a chance.

      Forced into a bad situation, and her arms useless, she decided to use three of her tails to guard against Claeg and one to fend off Kaila, but this left her open as one of Kaila's blood whips sliced her neck, causing Naomi's blood to erupt from the open wound like a geyser, dying the frosted ground red.

      "No!" Kaila yelled as the attacks ceased.

      Naomi fell to her knees as she forced her broken arms up, pressing her hands against the wound.

      I messed up. I was too focused on Claeg...

      Naomi's vision began to fade as she started to lose consciousness from the combination of blood loss and the nauseating pain of moving her wrecked arms.

      When she looked at Claeg and Kaila, they both were staring at the blood coming from her neck, both practically salivating. Then Claeg abruptly dashed toward her.

      Suddenly, a white and yellow thread slashed the ground, creating a deep trench between Naomi and Claeg.

      When Naomi glanced up, she saw Michael with his wings out, descending from the sky, one of her shards of ice clutched in his hands.

      As his white-feathered wings beat, Naomi could feel a warmth wash over her, replacing her pain. She could feel her body start to heal at an incredible rate as her skin, muscles, and bones began to mend and reattach themselves miraculously.

      "What do we have here," Michael said as he stood, alert, before Naomi.

      "I think they're Avarice's newest High Gods. Believe it or not, they were trying to eat me," Naomi croaked painfully, causing her to cough up blood from speaking before her neck was fully healed.

      Michael glanced at Claeg and Kaila, then exhaled an exasperated sigh.

      "Hm. You stay here and heal. I'll handle them," he told her.

      Michael began to hover to the other side of the trench and then stood confidently before the twins as white energy started to rise from his body.

      "The fox is off-limits now, so if you insist on continuing, you'll be facing me," Michael said threateningly as his eyes glowed white.

      Claeg's body tensed as he prepared to fight. Naomi could tell from the intensity in his eyes that, unlike with her, Claeg was serious.

      Still, he grinned maniacally, ready for the fight to begin at any moment.

      "That's okay; the fun's over," Kaila announced. "Actually, you showing up saved us tonight, so we'll be leaving."

      She took one last glance at the blood covering the ground and then at Naomi.

      "Such a shame; your blood smells quite delectable, too," she said regretfully.

      "What? You're leaving now that it's a fair fight," Naomi stated provokingly.

      Kaila laughed.

       "You should probably understand something about us: we're not as proud as the others. Honor? That means nothing to us. I know when to quit, and when things are unfavorable, my brother and I will do whatever's necessary and use any tactic to gain the upper hand, so baiting us by insulting our pride won't work," she explained shamelessly.