Chapter 20 ~ dinner with Franco ~

Nate didn't believe in going to bed on an argument so even though the atmosphere was tense, he made sure to tell Thana that he loved him and held him in his arms all night. He didn't apologize for his words because as strong as they were, he truly believed that it was time for Thana to let go of all his fears and bring his mother home.

They both slept as well as could be expected and when they woke, they carried on as if nothing had happened except the atmosphere remained the same. Thana wasn't one to sulk which was a good thing though he felt extremely guilty for slapping Nate, he really needed to think things through but he couldn't when Nate refused to leave him alone.

They both went to practice and were professional enough to put their personal feelings aside to focus on their trapeze work. It was during practice that Thana got a message from Franco, he asked him if he was available for dinner that night? Luckily because the season was almost at a close, Nate and Thana had an evening off so Thana replied yes and told Nate he was going to have dinner with Franco. 

Nate knew that Franco wanted to see Thana alone so he told him he hoped he had a good time and to message him if he needed him. He knew that what Franco wanted to talk to Thana about might upset him so he wanted him to know he was there for him.  

The day progressed pretty much as usual except Thana went round to Franco's in the early evening. The sun hung low in the sky and when Thana found Franco's caravan he was amazed at how pretty it looked.

Franco had set his table outside with Italian meats, cheeses, fruit and wine and thick slabs of crusty bread and the whole setting looked like a little slice of heaven. Franco invited Thana to sit and he poured them both some wine and they ate a little bit before Franco began to talk.

"I'm glad you came Thana, I've been waiting for the opportunity to talk to you"

"thank you for inviting me Franco, you have a beautiful place here" 

"your mother would love it here, she loves flowers"

"excuse me?" Thana said, he realized that Franco was talking in present tense.

Franco went on to tell Thana the same story that he had relayed to Nate several weeks prior, how he had fallen out with his dad because they both loved his mother and that he had been working at the facility all these years tending the gardens and visiting with Thana's mother.

"I hope your not mad that I've been visiting your mother Thana, she doesn't remember me, she just see's me as a friend she's met" Franco said while wiping his eyes.

"does anyone else know about her?" Thana questioned him.

"not that I am aware of son but you know, what happened, it's kind of old news now. I don't think anyone would bother her even if they did know" Franco said.

"someone said something similar to me yesterday " Thana told him.

"they said that I was martyring myself trying to keep a secret that no one cared about any more and that consequently I was keeping my mum and myself from living" he added.

"let me guess, Nate?" Franco asked.

"how did you, does Nate know about you?" Thana asked.

"he came to see me several weeks ago and I had no choice but to tell him, he thought I was flirting with you and he came to warn me off I guess" Franco laughed.

"that boy loves you so much Thana, he's a keeper"

"I'm just beginning to realize that Franco, we had our first fight last night and I hit him"

"ah, the passion of youth, I hope you will make it up to him?" Franco said.

"Franco, may I ask you a question seeing as you have been visiting my mother all these years, do you think I should bring her home?" Thana asked.

"yes I do, I think it's what she needs, she's slowly withering away in that place and I will always be here to help if you need any" Franco replied instantly.

The pair chatted some more and Franco was glad that Thana wasn't too upset by what he had told him, on the contrary he seemed lighter. Perhaps Nate's words had penetrated and made an impact? Franco didn't know exactly what Nate had said to Thana but reading between the lines, it seemed they were of a similar opinion.

They lingered over a last glass of wine and then Thana said he should go and thanked Franco for the lovely meal albeit simple rustic fayre, it was still delicious. After hugging, Thana took a steady stroll back home and found Nate out on his deck looking in the direction of Franco's caravan. Thana wondered how long he had been there waiting for him to come home.

Thana climbed the steps to the decking area and walked straight over to Nate to throw his arms around him, they hugged and then Thana drew back to look at Nate's face before kissing him squarely on the lips.

"I missed you Nate" Thana said.

"I missed you too baby" Nate replied

"I'm sorry I hit you last night"

"I'm sorry you did too, it damn well hurt" he laughed.

"are we good Thana?" Nate asked him.

"I love you Nate and yes, we're good" Thana replied.

"Let's go and visit my mum soon and ask her if she want's to come and live with us if you're sure?"

"I'm very sure Thana, I guess I should introduce you to my parents too" Nate said.

 "when the season ends I'll set something up with them" he continued.

 "I have to warn you Nate, I'm not very good at meeting people"

 " we'll get by baby don't worry too much, come on let's get washed up and go to bed"

They spent the next several hours making up, Nate didn't even want to think about how close he had come to almost losing Thana but he had needed to speak his mind even at the risk of losing him. They couldn't go through life being afraid to communicate.

He felt like he could start to make plans for real now, the first thing he wanted to do was get his ring on Thana's finger, little did he know just a few short months ago that he was going to meet the love of his life, now he just had to make it official.

***

~ if you enjoyed it please vote ~