Chapter 13 ~ truth be told ~

"I was best friend's with Thana's dad KhemKhaeng you know, he, Nathalia and I did everything together back then but I was in love with Nathalia and so was Thana's dad. We fought over her but in the end only one person could win, the person she was in love with herself and unfortunately that wasn't me.

We didn't talk much after they got married but I kept watching from a distance. Nathalia got pregnant and soon she gave birth to Thana, he was a cute little bambini, anyone could tell he would grow up to be a heartbreaker.

Franco laughed while remembering Thana as a child. 

"they would play with him on the bars teaching him to fly, by the time he was about 7 he could perform tricks just as good as young Win but they wouldn't let him work high up and never without a net"

Franco looked around his garden while taking a handkerchief from his pants pocket and dabbing his eyes. Nate didn't understand, he acted almost as if Thana's mother was dead?

"Nathalina loved flowers you know, she would often come to me and ask for cuttings or gardening tips. We still talked even though I didn't talk to Khem' anymore, her greatest wish was that we let bygones be bygones"

Nate watched as Franco wiped his eyes again and continued his tale,

"I was there that day, I was stood with Thana watching them from the sidelines. They looked great up there. Nathalia looked as beautiful as ever and even though I hate to admit it, any fool could see they were crazy about each other,

Khem's body started jerking about while he was on his catch bar, he was holding onto Nathalia and it looked like he was trying to return her to her own bar but she wouldn't let go of him, we all heard him cry out and knew there was a problem,

he was having a heart attack, the pain must have been unbearable and even though he wanted to clutch at his chest he wouldn't let her go. He tried a couple more times to throw her but he must have lost consciousness because his legs just gave and he slipped from his bar with Nathalina still gripping onto his arms and she fell with him.

I can still hear her screams, she was screaming for him, screaming because of the pain. It all happened so fast and Thana just stood there, his eyes as big as saucers. He walked over to his mum as if in a trance and knelt down beside her then took her hand.

They gave her something for the pain and she calmed down but then she grabbed Thana by the shoulders and made him promise never to fly again and he did. It wasn't long after that when an ambulance came and took her to the hospital and we all followed"

Nate could see that Franco was growing tired so he didn't want to push him further but it seemed that Franco wanted to get it off his chest.

"I did what I could to support Thana but he didn't seem to need or want any help. He grew up so fast in that time. He sorted out his dad's funeral and other things. I and a lot of the others offered to help him but he said he was ok. Nathalina was in hospital for a couple of weeks and then they moved her. 

They said it was for her to recuperate and I knew where they had taken her so I went to visit. When I asked to see her a nurse told me she was in a coma. That poor boy knew this and kept it to himself. He stopped going to school and started working all kinds of jobs to pay for his mum's care.

I did what I could without him knowing, I would send a little money to the facility and they would deduct it from what he owed them without telling him. She was in a coma for several months then when she woke up there were other problems.

Thana doesn't know that I know so please don't tell him, she's not herself, she has mental issues, she doesn't remember me or Thana. She doesn't even know her own name most days.  She's in a wheelchair and she gets upset if she see's her legs but she doesn't understand why?"

"how do you know all this Franco?" Nate asked

"I kept going back the the facility while she was in a coma and then I got a little part time job in the garden so I could be near her, I still go there now twice a week and sometimes I bring her to sit outside in the flower garden.

Thana has been working all these years to pay for her upkeep and people's silence. He doesn't want the world to know how she is now, I guess he's hoping she'll recover properly but the chances are grim. I know he's had to travel abroad to get work so I'm glad I could stay here to watch over Nathalina for the both of us.

I'm assuming he didn't want to do trapeze because of the promise he made to his mother but I guess he needs the money"

"he's so good at it though"

"I know son" Franco said.

"he is the spitting image of his mother you know, a male version, when I saw him up there, all I could see was his mother. I don't think he remembers me though Nate, I think he's blocked it all out, all the trauma of the incident and the weeks following, since then he's done nothing but work"

"thank you for telling me all of this Franco, I won't say anything, I swear" Nate told him.

"you're in love with him" Franco observed.

"yes, and I'm not letting him go Franco, he won't be alone ever again, I promise you. I have to tell you I was a little jealous when I saw you both talking. I thought you liked him as well?" Nate said.

"I do but just as Nathalia and Khem's son, my best friend who I miss every day and hate myself for not making amends while I had the chance" Franco added.

"do you still love her?" Nate asked

"she is the only woman I ever loved Nate, I will go to my own grave loving her" Franco said.

"I have to go Nate, I have things to do" Franco said but Nate could see that talking about everything had taken it's toll on him.

Nate stood up to leave but before he did he pulled Franco into a hug and patted him on the back,

"thank you again Franco"

"look after him Nate, look after each other" Franco said before walking back into his caravan.

Nate walked back to his own mobile home to stash the document and change into work out gear. It was difficult to get his head round everything Franco had told him. So Thana had been struggling all these years to care for his mother, no wonder he didn't have time for anything else.

Nate could begin to start helping him now he knew what issues he was facing and he could understand him more knowing what he had been through.

***

~ if you enjoyed it please vote ~