Theo's Death

{Listen to the song as you read this chapter. It'll make it so much more special.}

Pacifica's POV

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I walk the white hallway that still looked the same. I've been coming here with Dipper every day for the past month, getting the same bad news about Theo. He has two ping-pong sized tumors in his heart. They're also highly cancerous and deadly. I've been trying to spend as much time with him as I can, considering we don't know how much time we have left with him.

We reach the Infant ICU and Doctor Dewey greets us with a sad look on his face. I immediately clutch Dipper's hand. I look at Dr. Dewey with questioning eyes. He sadly shakes his head and leads us over to Theo's incubator. My precious baby boy lays in there, clenching his hands. I can see his breaths get shorter with every passing moment.

"You can hold him if you want." Doctor Dewey says. I gently reach my hands inside the two arm holes and cradle his tiny body. The corners of his mouth twitch into the tiniest smile; a mother's touch. I smile a teary-eyed smile and hand Theo to Dipper. Dipper holds him and whispers something incoherent. I reach over and stroke his brown hair one last time. Dipper puts Theo back into the incubator.

A sharp, long beep replaces the small beeps in the silent room. A few nurses rush into the room, shooting us sympathetic looks. A few tears escape my eyes until I'm full-on bawling. I bury my head in Dipper's shoulder and we stand there together, crying over a baby that should have lived longer, should have had a bright future.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

{At the funeral}

Today's Theo's funeral. I would rather sit in my bed and bawl but that's not Theo would have wanted.

I sit in the pew, clutching the damp tissue in my gloved hand. Dipper finishes his speech before returning to me, giving me a hug. I shakily walk up to the podium that overlooks the tiny coffin with bouquets bigger than the coffin itself. I take a shaky and labored breath before looking out into the crowd.

"These past few days have been really hard. It all just seems like a dream. An awful dream at that. Dealing with any death is hard, but the death of an innocent child who still had yet to live, that's heartwrenching.

Theo always brought a smile to anyone who happened to meet him. He was always happy, he rarely cried, and he had a fascination with our dog. Theo also had a soft spot for his Auntie Mabel, whom he loved very much.

Theo's family would frequently call him the 'Miracle Baby', for he was an unexpected surprise at my c-section. Theo got on well with his sister, Adelaide. Theo would cry if Adelaide would be taken away to be changed or fed.

His death has ripped a hole in my heart, a hole that I will carry around with me my entire life." I say, and I look out into the crowd once more. Everyone is crying.

There's a lesson learned in all of this: Treasure the time you have with your children. They might be gone sooner than you'd expect.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello, guys! Did I have you in tears? First off, I'd like to say something:

Dealing with any death is very hard, but the death of a child is even worse. A child does not deserve death or abuse. What a child does deserve is a loving home with loving family that cherishes every waking moment with them.

I can relate with Pacifica. My cousin was pregnant with twins once, but she had a miscarriage. My whole family grieved for the two little babies we didn't even know.

That's all.

Here we go with the QOTD:

QOTD: Have you broken any bones? If so what bones did you break and how many?

AOTD: I have broken three bones. They were all toes.

Darn, that's the end!

Thanks,

Hallie Lou