CHAPTER 002

CHAPTER     002
-----------------------
NEW BODY

CHAPTER     002-----------------------NEW BODY

~~~~~~~~•~~~~~~~~

THE NEXT DAY I FIND MYSELF WALKING WITH MAX AND NORM EARLY IN THE MORNING TOWARDS THE LINK ROOM.

Grace, calmer than yesterday, was already waiting for us to start the process. As soon as we entered the room, she began bombarding us with questions about our training.

Training that I did for one week before getting on the shuttle that brought me here.

"How much link time did you log?" I walked behind them while they had their conversation.

"About, 520 hours" Grace was pleased with his answer, and pointed to a linkbed to our left, where Norm would be.

I kept walking behind her until she stopped, almost making me collide with her back in the process.

"You're here" she pointed to the link bed right next to us. I got on it and touched the soft material it's interior is made of.

Feels like some type of gel. "What about your log time?"

"Somewhere among 48 hours," I said absently, watching the screen where Grace enters information or presses icons here and there.

"At least is something" she whispered, but I heard her.

I settled on the stretcher and lay down, molding my body the way the silhouette on the spongy material of the stretcher is shaped. I lowered the metal skeleton onto my chest and waited for Grace's signal to close the lid of the pod.

"So you just figured you'd come out here, the most hostile environment known to man, with almost no training of any kind and see how it went?" she asked without removing her eyes from the screen beside me.

I just smiled and looked up at her, knowing very well that she's looking at me out of the corner of her eye.

"The payment is very generous" I shrugged and she scoffed, but said nothing about it.

When she finished programming the linkbed, she turned around and looked me in the eye, supporting her weight on the edge of the bed. I know that look, it's the look of someone who wants to tell you what's on their mind, but Grace refrained at the moment.

"Just relax and let your mind go blank. Shouldn't be hard for you" I chuckled and shook my head.

I'm gonna have a lot of fun teasing and annoying this woman.

"Kiss my ass, carrots" I said before she closed the lid.

Being alone, I took a deep breath and closed my eyes. Letting my mind go blank and feeling how little by little my body was feeling lighter and lighter as my consciousness was transported to the Avatar.