CHAPTER 013

CHAPTER      013
-----------------------
WHITE FLAG

CHAPTER      013-----------------------WHITE FLAG

~~~~~~~~•~~~~~~~~

I WOKE UP INSIDE MY LINKBED AT THE CAMP IN THE MOUNTAINS. THE FIRST THING I DID WHEN I WOKE UP WAS OPEN THE LID AND SIT ON THE TABLE WHILE I RUBBED MY FACE TO GET RID OF THE TIREDNESS.

I feel unusually tired today. My body is heavy and the only thing I can think of doing right now is take a quick shower and go to sleep so I can get some rest.

Lately I've been having weird dreams that take place in the forest, I don't see anything concrete, but I can hear children's voices and laughter around me while I feel peace spreading through my body.

It's strange, but nice at the same time.

And I definitely rather dream about that than have the same nightmare over and over again that I've been for years now.

"Welcome back" I was startled when I heard Grace's unmistakable voice as she walked in the room. "Feeling good?"

She held a cup of coffee in one hand and a lit cigarette in the other. The smell causing me to wrinkle my nose in disgust.

"Peachy" I said without giving details and getting off the stretcher to make my way to the kitchen to get something to eat.

"How was your day?" she asked me out of nowhere before I could walk past her. I looked at her, raising an eyebrow, somewhat confused.

"Since when do you care?" I asked walking away with her following close behind.

I grabbed a plate of food and emptied the contents of one of the bags of packaged disgusting food to put in the microwave. I sat at the small table waiting for the time to end while Grace sat across from me on the other side of the small table.

"Listen, Aquila" I paid immediate attention when she said my name and she let out a tired sigh "I know we've had a pretty rocky relationship so far..."

"And whose fault is it?" I interrupted her by standing up to take my plate of food from the microwave and sit back down at the table to eat.

"Of both" I scoffed and crossed my arms.

"Yours, Grace. It's all your fault because if I remember correctly, I tried to get along with you ever since we met and all you did was mention my dead sister and complain about my presence" she pressed her lips into a thin line as she heard me "You still do it" I said referring to the part where she complains about my presence.

"You don't make it easy for me when you're working with Quaritch and Selfridge giving them intel" she countered.

It was my turn to stay silent. We had both been ignoring the fact of my complicity with Selfridge and Quaritch since Grace found out. She didn't say anything about it because she knows that messing with them would only get her fired and the Avatar program to close, but that wouldn't stop her from complaining to me for being their accomplice.