CHAPTER 012

CHAPTER      012
-----------------------
HUNTING

CHAPTER      012-----------------------HUNTING

~~~~~~~~•~~~~~~~~

IT'S HEAVILY RAINING TODAY IN THE FOREST. WE WOKE UP THIS MORNING TO THE SOUND OF THUNDERS AND THE DROPS OF WATER MAKING NOISE BY CRASHING WITH THE BARK OF HOMETREE.

I thought Neytiri would decide to stay inside today, but instead she took me to breakfast as soon as I opened my eyes and the next thing I knew we were riding two Pa'li ​​into the forest.

She hadn't told me what our lesson would be about today, but I assumed it had to do with hunting since she forced me to bring my training bow.

After quite a while riding the Pa'li, Neytiri finally stopped not far from a small stream. We both got off the Pa'li ​​and she immediately ordered me to crouch on the ground as we made our way to the creek in complete silence.

When she finally decided to stop, we crouched even lower to the ground, pressing our bodies almost completely to the grass. A group of bushes and plants hid us from the view of a herd of yerik that is grazing beside the stream.

I turned to Neytiri waiting for instructions, but instead she looked at me with a small smile and nodded towards the herd.

"It is time for you to make your clean kill" her words froze me in place for a few seconds, suddenly feeling an unimaginable pressure. "You have completed the basics of your training, it is now time to put that knowledge into practice and get the opportunity to perform your Iknimaya" I was going to say no immediately, but before a word could get out of my mouth, Neytiri took my forearm and pushed me forward a bit. "Now!" She pointed to a yerik that was grazing further away from the herd.

I could just nod and sit on my knees on the floor. I took the bow from my back along with an arrow and brought it into position, drawing the string and aiming at the animal that would define if I proceeded to the next part of my training.

I followed the instructions Neytiri had given me long ago when she first taught me to shoot with a bow and arrow. Straight and firm posture, strong and tense abdomen, arms at the correct height and eyes focused on the target.

I took a deep breath seeking to release the nerves that made my arms tremble and altered my heartbeat. When I opened my eyes again, I simply followed a deep instinct and released the arrow, letting it fly and cut through the air to finally pierce the neck of that yerik who immediately fell to the ground in a small pool of his blood between groans of pain.

I didn't waste two seconds to get to my feet as I slung the bow on my back and drew my knife from it's sheath, kneeling beside the yerik's body and whispering the prayers that I had been taught no more than a week ago.

"I see you, brother and I thank you. Your soul belongs to Eywa and your body stays behind to become part of the people" I plunged the knife into his heart, just as Neytiri had taught me.