CHAPTER 019

CHAPTER     019
-----------------------
THE TRUTH

CHAPTER     019-----------------------THE TRUTH

~~~~~~~~•~~~~~~~~

ANOTHER NIGHT, ANOTHER NIGHTMARE.

It wasn't the first time it had happened to me since I arrived on Pandora, but it had certainly been one of the worst so far and the fact that there was a bad storm outside didn't help much either.

After tossing and turning in my bed without being able to fall asleep again, I gave up and decided that it would be best to stay awake for the rest of the day and accumulate the tiredness to wait for a peaceful night's rest.

At this point, the very idea of ​​having a quiet night sounded more like a fantasy than a reality to me.

I jumped slightly when a loud clap of thunder echoed outside the cabin, causing the walls to shake from the force of it's sound. I've never been a fan of storms like this and despite being an adult now, that fact hadn't changed a bit since then.

The coffee machine rang in the background, letting me know that my drink was ready. I took one of the cups and poured myself some and then sat at the small table we use for meals and drink my coffee in peace. My gaze focused on the outside and on the strong drops of water that crash against the glass of the windows.

There's something strangely relaxing hiding between a hot cup of coffee and a thunderstorm. It makes you think, as strange as it may sound.

I have never been a good sleeper. I always have nightmares or strange dreams, I wake up several times during the night covered in sweat and with my heart racing, or I simply suffer from insomnia.

However, when I joined the Marines that problem stopped bothering me until the day of the incident. The day that marked the end of my career and the one that left me marked for life.

Just remembering it gave me chills and for as long as I can remember, I have tried to bury that memory in the deepest corner of my mind. Too bad it came back to me almost every night, reminding me of my mistakes and causing the guilt to slowly eat me away every day. Waiting for me to finally sedate the feeling and let myself be consumed by it.

As depressing or scary as it sounds, it is a truth.

One that many Marines share.

The thing about being a soldier is that on the battlefield you feel strong and invincible holding a gun and firing the bullet that kills your enemy, but there comes a time in all of our lives when a simple event marks us for life and that strong and powerful soldier becomes an emotionally and mentally unstable person who is haunted by the ghosts of their past who seek to claim all their sins.

The life of a soldier is not for everyone, only for those with a heart of stone, a cold mind and a strong soul. That's one of the reasons I still have some respect for them, because I know firsthand what it's like and what it entails to be a soldier.