CHAPTER 014

CHAPTER     014
----------------------
IKNIMAYA

CHAPTER     014----------------------IKNIMAYA

~~~~~~~~•~~~~~~~~

THIS IS IT. THE MOMENT I'VE BEEN PREPARING FOR ALL THIS TIME. MY IKNIMAYA.

That morning during breakfast, Neytiri didn't stop giving me advice for the moment in which I will tame my Ikran. As a good student, I listened carefully to each and every one of her words of advice, withholding as much information as possible for the moment of truth.

The peaceful breakfast ended faster than I would have liked and by the time I noticed it, I was in that little clearing where I first rode Pa'le, getting her ready for the ride to the mountains.

The thing about Iknimaya is that it's a ritual that every warrior and hunter must go through before continuing with the next phase of their training. The challenge is to tame an Ikran, but to do so you must go to the mountains, more specifically, to the home of the Ikran.

Hurrah.

The truth is that I'm nervous. While I was excited to have the opportunity to tame my own Ikran, I've heard that some Na'vi don't make it the first time and others have even died falling off the edge of the huge cliff at the Ikran territory. By this I don't mean that I expect to fail, but if I have to choose between failure and death, I prefer death.

"Are you ready, Aquila?" I finished adjusting Pa'le's mount and turned to find myself face to face with Neytiri, who when facing Pa'le smiled and caressed her affectionately.

"I think so" she must have heard the slight insecurity in my voice, because she immediately focused her attention on me.

"Everything okay?" I nodded.

"Yeah, just a little nervous. It's all" she smiled slightly at me and extended a little wood bowl with orange paint towards me.

Without telling me what it was for, she took a step forward and dipped her fingers into the paint to spread it all over my face.

"There's nothing to be nervous about. You have come a long way and you deserve this opportunity to prove yourself" I looked in her eyes, feeling a little more confident because of her trust in me, her eyes focused on her work on my face "You have proven to be skillful, intelligent and capable. Besides, I am the one training you so you'll do great" I chuckled but nodded, earning a soft hiss from her because I was ruining her work on my face.

"Thank you, Neytiri. I really needed some encouragement" she squeezed my shoulder softly in support as she finished her work and stepped back to admire it. She nodded in approval, pleased with my appearance.

"Are you ready, demon?! We don't have all day!" Tsyeyk joined us ruining our little moment.

"Yeah, I am" I rolled my eyes and climbed on Pa'le, sitting comfortably.