CHAPTER 003

CHAPTER     003
-------------------------
THE DEAL

CHAPTER     003-------------------------THE DEAL

~~~~~~~~•~~~~~~~~

A WEEK LATER, I WAS AT THE CAFETERIA EATING BREAKFAST BY MYSELF.

I'm sitting at a long table with the scientists, but I isolated myself so as not to get involved in their conversations. Which I don't understand for the most part.

I had considered joining the soldiers, but dismissed the idea as quickly as it popped in my mind.

During the week I've been here, I've dedicated myself to training my Avatar, little by little accustoming my body to my physical abilities. Running, fighting, jumping, climbing. I found out that the Avatar adapts faster than a human body and found it quite interesting.

Grace had been keeping an eye on me and Norm, tracking our training and progress. Just yesterday at the end of the day, she told us that today we'll accompany her on an expedition in the forest. Something simple, she and Norm would collect some samples and I would be her escort/bodyguard.

It didn't seem like a bad idea to me, after spending nights talking with Norm about Pandora, I became even more curious about this new world.

"Chase?" I looked up from my poor bowl of tasteless oatmeal to see a woman wearing a aviator suit.

"Yeah?"

"Come with me, Colonel wants to have a word with you" I frowned, but said nothing and got up from the table, following her out of the cafeteria.

She silently guided me to the hangars of the base, where I stood surprised for a second when I saw the amount of air equipment, weapons, suits and ammunition that they keep in this place. It brought back memories of my first year in the marines. I was surprised by all the material there was, because if there isn't a war, what was the purpose of saving all this?.

"You guys have some heavy gear" I commented, still staring at my surroundings.

"Yeah well, we're not the only thing flying out there or the biggest" the words of the Colonel's speech came back to me.

"So he was right after all, huh?" I muttered.

She hadn't been able to hear me. She led me to a samson and asked me to wait a moment while she went through everything.

"This my baby" she pointed at the samson with a proud smile "Yo, Wainfleet!"

A man that was fixing a gun to the side of the samson looked back at her.

"Get it done, we leave at 0900" she said, climbing up to the roof of the samson to fix something and jumping down when she was done.

"On it, Captain" he replied.