Chapter 1

Morgana knew that if she went to the Spring Ball tonight she'd most likely die.

Her throat was tight as she finished writing the last sentence in her essay about the Witches' War. A final assignment she'd left till now so that it would be a distraction for what she should really be doing.

"Why aren't you ready yet?" said a male voice from behind.

Morgana jumped and turned, spilling a bottle of black ink all over the desk.

Her adoptive brother, Prince Damon of Golah Court, was in the bedroom doorway wearing a pale-blue suit that matched his eye color. A gold crown glinted on his short blond hair.

"Look what you've done." A flush crept up Morgana's throat. The ink had spilled over an open book titled: A History of The Witches' War. She dabbed the stain with the sleeve of her dark gown and sighed. If only she were a fae like Damon, a water and earth user, then she could get rid of the ink easily.

But unfortunately she was human.

Damon snorted and waved a hand, using his water magic to dissipate the ink smeared on the book and desk. He assessed the dark circles under her eyes. "Couldn't you sleep again last night?" His dianthus and honeysuckle scent wafted as he walked into her bedroom.

The setting sun filtered through her open balcony and over the books on her desk and rose-quartz walls. There was a small plum tree in the corner, where fireflies wove amongst the leaves. Damon stood next to a golden-framed mirror that had blue butterflies crawling over the surface and crossed his arms. "Is that why you left your assignment to the last minute?"

"Why are you here?"

"Didn't you hear me? I was asking why you weren't ready yet? For the Spring Ball?"

Morgana's stomach squirmed. The Spring Ball was one of the balls held in honor of the Seasonal Ceremonies where the aristocratic and wealthy fae gave thanks to the Goddess for creating the land of Elysia, and for granting them control over the elements: air, fire, earth, and water. Earth was considered the strongest element because it gave the user the ability to manipulate Elysia's gravity.

In the fae's opinion, control over the elements gave them the right to rule the faeries of Elysia because it was a power exclusive to them.

But the royal fae were more powerful.

Both the Aeperos and Golah Court royals wielded two elements. The only difference between them was that the King and Queen of Aeperos Court had their powers given to them by Allegra, the strongest witch of all time, before King Erik from Golah Court had executed her.

The Golah Court royals were born with their ability to wield two elements, which made them think that they were superior to Aeperos Court.

"Do I really have to go?" Morgana whispered.

"Yes," Damon answered. "You're nearly of age and you're a part of this family. You know that females have to be presented to fae society."

Anger flickered in Morgana's chest. "Because females are like prize pigs at the village for auction."

"Don't be like that. It's tradition and mother expects you to be there. You were supposed to be introduced to fae society last year, but you wheedled your way out of that one."

"I turn eighteen in a couple days' time, wouldn't it be better to wait till the Summer Ball?"

"It's tradition to come out at the Spring Ball."

"Tradition." Morgana snorted. "Were you ever presented to court?" She glared at the 300-year-old fae who looked as if he were only a few years older than her. Human life spans were a blip for the fae, an insect's lifetime.