Chapter 11

Morgana jumped and spun around.

The path behind her was empty, save for the howling wind that whipped the field of grass.

She shivered and crossed her arms. "Who's there?" Morgana peered into the rippling field, as another gust of wind lashed dirt into her face. She coughed. "Whoever you are this isn't funny!"

Only silence answered her and for a moment Morgana thought that she was hearing things. The wind was so loud that she could easily mistake it for a voice.

She turned to leave.

Morrggaannnnaaa.

She spun back around, heart racing, hair prickling the back of her neck. Her eyes went over the empty path and swaying field.

"Leave me alone!" She took a step back. Morgana racked her brain trying to figure out what kind of faery it could be. A banshee, perhaps? But they only haunted those who were on the verge of death, the banshee's awful wails were a sign that death approached. But Morgana wasn't on the verge of death, at least she hoped she wasn't.

Maybe it was a fae that was an air user?

Dain?

Her teeth clenched.

Eerie laughter echoed, as if a hundred hags surrounded her. Terror barreled down her spine. All she could see was the empty field. How was she going to fight something that was invisible?

Morgana turned and ran.

You can't outrun me, the horrible voice swirled around her like a specter. The wind picked up and buffeted Morgana, whipping her dress tight across her body. It was like she was trying to run through a howling hurricane. She brought an arm up to shield her watering eyes. Dirt swirled around her.

"Go away!"

You know the kobold was treated unfairly. You know that the Golights are evil and that the Aeperians were on the right side of the war.

The wind surged again, charged, and full of energy as if carried on a storm. Morgana expected an onslaught of roiling dark clouds to be in the sky, but no, it was a clear blue.

She put on an extra burst of speed and the castle got closer, growing larger with each step. It was a beacon of hope.

Soon, she'll be in the castle grounds.

Soon, she'll be safe.

It was an ominous presence hounding her every step. Morgana peeked behind her shoulder. There was no one there. Or no one that she could see, there were plenty of faeries who could remain invisible whilst hunting prey. She leapt over a fallen log, thighs burning, sweat dripping down her face.

Come find me, the voice whispered and then the wind died followed by a thick silence.

Morgana came to a stop, panting, hands on her knees. Not a whisper of air stirred. The field was as still as an unrippled pond. She frowned and peered down the path. There really was no fae or faery chasing her.

"Hello?" she called.

Silence answered.

Uncertainty plunged into her stomach, as if her foot had slipped off a rock and she'd gone skidding down an embankment. Had she really been chased by something? Or was the magic of Elysia finally making her lose her mind? She thought of what Damon had said about her body already absorbing a lot of Elysia's magic. Morgana shook her head. No, she can't think like that. She'd had two doses of the elixir. There was no way she was losing her mind. Morgana was at the rear castle gates, where the grounds were a vibrant green with splashes of color. She'd made it home. There was no reason to worry.