Chapter 28

Morgana sprinted all the way to Aelys's room and burst through the door.

Aelys's bedroom was like a crystal cave with a beautiful garden inside it. Light filtered through the open balcony and over the sparkling sapphire walls. In the corner of the room was an oozing pot of honeycomb where a few bees buzzed. An explosion of potted plants and flowers covered most of the room's surface, like a lush garden in the middle of summer.

Aelys wore a light-green chiffon gown, and Brighid wore a silky orange dress. They were lying on Aelys's four poster bed, feet peeking through the gossamer lavender curtains. Brighid was reading and Aelys was writing something in book. Both sat up when they saw Morgana in the doorway.

"What's wrong?" Aelys crawled over her resnim petal covers and hugged Morgana, who burst into tears.

Brighid glanced between them and gave Morgana a sympathetic look. "I'll see you later," she whispered to Aelys.

Aelys mouthed a thank you to Brighid as she shut the door.

"Sit down." Aelys guided Morgana to a gold chaise longue that had velvet cushions. Morgana hiccupped as Aelys poured her a cup of apple juice. "Tell me what happened." She handed Morgana the cup.

Morgana took a sip, then told Aelys everything. She told her about how Damon and Erik had killed her parents and that they were the ones who poisoned her. Morgana told Aelys about the voice that had been following her, and how she's discovered that she's a witch now.

"What?" Aelys spluttered. "That can't be true."

"It's the truth Aelys!" Morgana stood up. "I'm a witch, and Damon and Erik..." Her eyes filled with tears, unable to continue. She felt like there was a knife wedged in her heart.

Aelys stared at her for a long moment. "But you don't have proof of that, or for anything you just said. What if that scrying thing was a hallucination? If it was, then that means father and Damon didn't kill your parents. What if this is all in your head? What if it's Elysia's magic finally getting to you?"

Morgana stared at her for a moment, and doubt began to spread in her gut like a poison. What if Aelys was right? What if it was all in her head, and she was making connections that weren't there? What if she really was a human who'd lost her mind because of Elysia's magic?

You haven't lost your mind, hissed the disembodied voice.

A breeze rippled through the pot plants fluttering leaves and petals.

Aelys jumped. "Did you say something?"

"No. That was the voice I told you about!"

Aelys's mouth dropped open.

You will join Morgana in her journey, Aelys Golah, Princess of Golah Court, the voice was like a wind whispering through a pine forest.

"What?" Aelys's voice was shrill. She spun in a circle, as if she could find out where the voice was coming from.

"I've told you to leave me alone!" Morgana yelled. "Who are you? What do you want?"

I wanted you to know who you are and to be ready.

Aelys and Morgana shared a look.

"Ready for what?"

For your destiny and the truth about your history.

"This can't be happening." Aelys sat down on her bed, shaking her head.

Heed my words because now is the time you find out.