Chapter 6

The morning sun streamed onto Morgana's shoulders as she brushed her hair in front of the mirror. She was dressed for breakfast in a simple green gown, and her head thumped. Her face was puffy, and her eyes had dark circles under them. She'd tried to take a dose of the elixir that morning but had immediately thrown it up. A glass of water later, she tried to take another dose, fear pumping through her veins. If Morgana couldn't stomach the elixir, she was as good as dead. After her third failed attempt she slumped down the side of her bed, shivering, skin slicked with cold sweat. Was her body rejecting the elixir because Elysia's magic was finally overpowering her? Was that why she had the strange dream last night? Was it a sign of her brain turning to mush?

Morgana hoped the dream was stress related, a result of her final essay on the Witches' War and what had happened with her bullies last night. She closed her eyes and tried to slow the rapid pace of her heart. It wouldn't do to panic about how much more magic she'd absorb by missing her morning dose. Even though it brought her closer to death.

Morgana sighed and looked at her wan reflection, hoping she could take the elixir later, it couldn't hurt to give her stomach a little break, and there was nothing she could do if she couldn't keep it down. At least Larania wouldn't question Morgana's lie about disappearing from the ball, she looked as if she had a hangover.

Morgana placed a silvery band with emeralds over her head, and stared at her reflection, feeling as permeable and insubstantial as a ghost.

Weak.

A soft knock on her bedroom door broke her reverie.

"Come in," she called.

Damon walked in, wearing navy pants and a navy jacket with pale blue embroidery. His blond hair was damp from freshly bathing. "How'd you sleep last night?" He asked.

"Not well."

A tense silence followed, then Damon clasped his hands behind his back. "Starting tonight, we'll do more complex training. Over time you'll be able to knock a fae out before they have the chance to use their magic against you."

Morgana nodded, knowing she had no say in the matter, even though she felt like it was a pointless endeavor. The fae would always be more powerful.

"I'll walk you down to breakfast." Damon opened the door and Morgana stood up. "But I won't be able to stay, I have a council meeting with father."

"Thanks for leaving me to the wolves."

Damon gave her a patronizing look. "Don't be like that."

They strolled down the hallway, past guards, and bustling servants carrying clothes. The smell of melted butter and pastry wafted as they descended a quartz staircase with ivy wrapped around the banister. At the bottom of the staircase was a vast chamber decorated with gold furniture, and in the middle of it was a gigantic stone fountain of the Goddess, standing atop Elysia. The Goddess's arms were raised as water trickled down her robe. Lush pot plants filled the space, so that it seemed as if the chamber was like a garden. Green fronds tickled Morgana's shoulders as she wove through the chamber. There were multiple hallways branching from it, like veins on a leaf. They walked past well-dressed fae, who bowed to Damon as they went about their business.

"I'll see you around." He waved, then walked down a corridor that led to the council room.

Clinking cutlery and murmurs floated from a small hallway to Morgana's right, and a green gnome with a covered dish raced past. Morgana followed the gnome and entered the dining room, a light and airy chamber with floor length windows. Chandeliers entwined with roses dangled from the ceiling. In the middle of the room was a dining table so large it could've seated twenty guests. And on the table was all manner of pastries, fruit, and pots of tea.

Larania sat with her back to the windows, and the sun's rays shone around her like a halo. "I was beginning to wonder if you were going to join us at all," she said to Morgana, lips pursing. Larania wore a sparkling crown of diamonds and a violet gown embroidered with gold.

"Sorry I'm late," Morgana said.

"Is that all your sorry for?" Larania's face was as dark as a storm cloud.

"I'm sorry that I drank too much wine last night."

Larania's nostrils flared. "Last night you were presented to society. You were presented as one of our elite ladies of the aristocracy and then you ruin it by getting so drunk that you didn't even find any suitors!"

Aelys snickered, still in her pale-pink night gown, hair a squirrel's nest.

A lump formed in Morgana's throat. "Sorry, mother. It won't happen again." She sat down and couldn't wait till this Goddess-forsaken breakfast was over with.

Aelys picked up a croissant and took a bite.

"That goes for you too Aelys," Larania snapped, on the war path. "You already have a reputation as a drunk – the least you could do is clean up your act when we have these events. You need to act like a lady of the court! You're the Golight Princess for Goddess's sake!"

Aelys sighed and brushed some pastry off her lips. The underside of her eyes were as dark as Morgana's and a faint smell of wine lingered over her like a cloud.

Larania's mouth twisted. "And you clearly didn't listen to me when I told you to introduce your sister to some suitors."

"Well, I'm not a miracle worker, mother. No one likes her."

"Aelys!"

Aelys ignored her mother and picked an apple off a plate.

"Apologize to your sister right now."

Aelys took a bite of the apple.

"If you won't apologize you can go to your room!"

"Make me."

Larania's chair scraped back, and she marched over to Aelys and slapped her hard across the face. Aelys's head whipped to the side and the sound echoed like a clap of thunder.

Morgana's mouth dropped open.

Aelys touched her pink cheek, shocked, eyes wet with unshed tears. She glanced at her mother then wisely turned to Morgana, "Sorry," her voice shook. Then Aelys stood up, sending a cup of tea crashing to the floor, and ran out of the room.

Tea pooled near Morgana's foot and a pixie in an apron rushed over to clean up the broken shards of ceramic.

"She never listens to me. If she could do what I asked, just once..." Larania went back to her seat, face flushed. "I told her how important it is for you to find a suitor."

Morgana didn't trust herself to answer so she loaded her plate with buttery eggs, pastries, and berries.

Larania and Morgana ate their breakfast in an awful silence.

Larania had never yelled at Morgana like that before. Her coming out to society was all Larania had talked about for the past year and for Morgana to not find a suitor had disappointed her greatly.

A pale-yellow gnome in a little black suit arrived to announce that Lady Meria had arrived and was awaiting the Queen's presence.

Larania got up and walked past Morgana, trailing the scent of roses. But when she got to the doorway she paused. "Sorry I'm being hard on you, Morgana it's just... because you're human it'll be harder for you to find a suitor. And in this court females need suitors for their survival." She gave Morgana a sharp look then walked out the door.