Chapter 20

The gigantic wall of flames swallowed Caliath, and Morgana could only stare in horror as the flames chewed through the rest of the maze like some great starving beast.

What had she done?

She'd just killed the Aeperian Prince.

"No!" she sobbed, tears turning to vapor from the rippling heatwaves.

She searched for any movement within the fire, but no, Caliath was gone.

Dark smoke billowed into the air, and agony flared over her skin. Red welts rose on her arms and exploded like tiny volcanos. The pain climbed towards her chest, and the fire roared. Morgana screamed again, tasting iron in the air, her own blood.

The flames were about to consume her.

She was about to die.

A dark shadow emerged from the fire and tackled her into the water with a great splash. Welcoming cold embraced her. She was no longer in the maze but floating in the Undine Ocean, where the water dulled her pain. For a moment all she could do was stare at Caliath. His arm was around her waist and his skin was the same beautiful shade of olive it had always been.

He was unharmed.

He'd survived.

They floated to the ocean floor and onto a path of seashells. Morgana exhaled a stream of bubbles, then inhaled briny air from the enchanted water. Dim moonlight filtered through the ocean depths, and Morgana's hair floated like seagrass. A reef of brightly colored coral and starfish surrounded Morgana and Caliath like an amphitheater. There was a beautiful mermaid with a silvery tail and aquamarine skin that herded a school of shimmering fish.

Morgana clutched Caliath's arms and looked him over. "Are you alright?"

He blinked and took her hands in his. "I'm fine but you..." he looked down at Morgana's blistered arms. Her gown was charred, and her face was smudged with soot.

She gently pulled her arms out of his grip and watched a crab scuttle across the sand. "I don't think you were supposed to have seen that."

"What was that voice and wind that chased you?" Caliath had a strange look in his eyes. Silence followed, and he stepped closer. "I won't tell anyone."

"You could hear it?"

"Of course."

Morgana frowned, confused. How come Aelys and Brighid couldn't hear it but Elvenia and Caliath could? She pinched the bridge of her nose. It felt as if her mind was slipping through her fingers like sand. "I'm not sure what it is, but I think it has something to do with Elysia's magic. Do you know what happens to humans when they live here long enough?"

Caliath's gaze went to the sandy ocean floor. "They go mad, and eventually Elysia's magic becomes too much for them."

"Yes." Morgana's voice wavered. "I think that's what's happening to me. The magic is becoming too much, it's killing me."

Caliath's hand gently touched Morgana's jaw, and she looked at him. "It's not killing you." His voice was rough.

"Just now I nearly burned myself to death. I could've killed you too."

"I shielded myself perfectly well, and you wouldn't have burned to death."

"How would you know? Have you known humans who could live a long life in Elysia?"

Caliath's hand glided down her neck and came to rest on her shoulder. He leant forward and Morgana's breath lodged in her throat. "Just trust me." It seemed as if his eyes were trying to tell her something important.

"That's not an answer."

His lips pursed. "You'll be fine. You're special."

"What do you mean I'm special?"

Caliath's hand left her shoulder and regret flashed across his face. "What I mean is that the Golah Family are looking out for you. You're blessed to have their help."

Morgana thought about her poisoned elixir and her mouth thinned. "Yes, extremely blessed."

Caliath picked up one of Morgana's wrists and inspected the trail of blisters peppering her forearm. He frowned. "We need to get you some healing salve."

"It doesn't hurt anymore."

"That's because the Undine Ocean has healing properties, but it won't be enough for burns like these."

"I'm lucky that you were there. Thanks again for saving me."

"It's okay," he brushed a finger over a charred gown strap, beneath it her skin had peeled back. Morgana's heart thumped.

"Why are you forbidden to be around me?" she blurted.

"You don't give up do you?"

"Getting to know you is like trying to break into a vault."

Caliath chuckled.

"I'm serious, you never really answer my questions."

"I'm sorry."

"Maybe that can change? Perhaps, we could become friends?" Morgana's cheeks heated.

Caliath's hand left her shoulder. "I wish we could become friends. But we can't, it's too complicated."

Morgana's stomach dropped, her hope snuffed out like a candle. "Why? And don't say you can't tell me."

Caliath gave her an apologetic look.

Morgana sighed. "So, how come you were out on the terrace tonight with Lady Willow?"

Caliath's eyes trailed Morgana's face, leaving spots of warmth. "I came out onto the terrace because you looked like you were in pain."

It felt like Morgana's heart was lodged in her throat. "So, you followed me out?"

"Yes." Caliath's voice was soft.

"Why do you even care if I'm in pain or not?"

"I'd rather not say."

"You'd rather not say?" Morgana snorted.

Caliath's eyes burned, like emerald fire.

"We barely know each other. Why are you always looking out for me?"

Caliath swallowed and looked at the ground.

Morgana's nostrils flared. "Do you have some weird fetish for humans?"

"No!"

Morgana felt like throwing her arms up. What was the point in speaking to Caliath when he was about as open as a locked box? "Well, if we can't be friends and we're not supposed to be seen together then I should just go." She turned on her heel. But a hand gently clasped her wrist and halted her.

"Please, don't."

She turned, and the look on Caliath's face made her chest tighten. "You're hard to understand, Your Highness. You keep saving me and then..."

"I know. I just wish-"

"What in the Goddess is this?" Aelys's voice sliced through the air, as sharp as a sword.