Chapter 5

"Please don't tell anyone I did this." Caliath waved an arm over the fallen bodies of Dain, Alston, and Elvenia. "No one must know that I saved you."

Morgana blinked. "But, why?"

A distant shout echoed across the grounds and Morgana turned her head. It sounded like someone calling her name. She turned back to Caliath, and his eyes were wide.

"Please, keep it a secret. No one can know that I was here."

She stared at him, dumbfounded.

Caliath gave her one last pleading look, then melted into the castle's shadow. So, that's how he was able to hide and attack Alston. He was a shadow walker like Valerio, the Spy Captain.

"Morgana," Damon's voice drifted over the lawns.

"I'm here!"

A low moan escaped Dain, who sat up and gingerly touched the back of his bloodied head.

"Morgana!" Damon sounded closer.

Dain shook Elvenia's shoulder. "We have to go." She was still unconscious, head lolling as if her neck had snapped. Dain lifted her into the air with his magic. Elvenia's arms and legs dangled limply and her gown trailed the wet grass.

There were two sets of footsteps pounding down the path. Getting closer.

"Stop!" Morgana ran towards Dain and Elvenia, but Dain blasted her back with a surge of air magic. She tumbled onto the grass.

Elvenia's eyes fluttered open. "We can't leave Alston," she mumbled, barely able to stay awake. Blood dripped through her hair and left a trail on the grass.

Morgana stumbled to her feet, but they'd disappeared around the corner.

Alston groaned and rolled over, getting onto all fours.

"Where are you?" Damon yelled.

"Here!"

Alston sat on his heels, then tried to stand, using his hands on the ground to steady himself.

Morgana watched his pathetic attempt to get to his feet, and she thought about how close to death she'd been because of him, because of all of them.

She was sick of them.

Sick of being weak.

She stormed over and punched Alston on the nose. He yelled and dropped back onto the grass like a felled bit of wheat. Her chest heaved, and the raw pain across her knuckles felt good, like a prize she'd won.

Damon jogged around the corner, followed by a guard. He halted, eyes wide at the sight of Morgana dripping blood from her stomach and only wearing her undergarments.

"Morgana?" He took a step forward, and spotted Alston on the ground dabbing his bloody nose. Fury swept over Damon's face like a black cloud from an inferno.

Alston raised his palms, a pleading look on his face. "I can explain, Your Highn-" he screamed, buckling under Damon's earth magic, arms and legs snapping like twigs under a boot. Blood bloomed all over Alston's clothes and he pissed himself, tainting the air and grass with urine.

"You broke the decree, you know the consequences," Damon's voice shook with barely controlled rage.

Morgana took a step back, mouth open in shock.

Damon's earth magic grew with his temper and Alston's jaw snapped with a deafening crack, followed by a warbled scream.

The guard behind Damon took a step forward, ready for orders.