Chapter 8

Morgana's mouth ran dry like she'd eaten a mouthful of sand. She felt the urge to run but forced herself to stay.

Fear would only get her into trouble now.

"I'm ready," she said.

The ball of ice flew towards Morgana and she flipped over it. Damon sent another globe of ice, and she froze. It floated inches from her forehead, and a chill kissed her skin. 

"Again," Damon said.

Morgana moved back into place and fought the fear that kept resurfacing like a buoy tossed on violent waves. They trained for a couple more hours, until the last round when Morgana finally found an opening. She zig-zagged around the balls of ice, ducking, and rolling until she punched Damon in the stomach. He curled over with a wheeze, and lost control of his last ice ball. Morgana screamed as it exploded on her thigh. A thousand needles pricked her leg followed by numbness. Her knees buckled, and Damon caught her before she hit the ground. He lowered her to the mat and cut a hole in her pants with his earth magic to see the damage. The skin had blackened from frostbite. He swore, then raced over to the healing kit, a wooden chest in the corner of the room. Damon ran back over and applied a healing balm that smelled of rosemary to Morgana's leg. Tears streamed down her cheeks as she looked at her ghastly leg. After another layer of healing balm she sighed in relief as warmth brought the tissues back to life and healed them. Her skin returned to its olive color.

"I think that's it for today," Damon said, applying another layer of balm for good measure.

Morgana nodded, but for the first time since her attack a tiny spark of hope grew in her chest. Even though Damon went easy on her, she still got a shot in. 

"You learned quicker than I thought you would." Damon placed the balm back in the healing kit. "I've spoken to Dain and Elvenia's families and they shouldn't bother you from now on, but if they do, at least you'll be able to protect yourself better now. Or you'll be able to protect yourself if you come across any other fae or Aeperians, they're notorious for killing humans."

Morgana frowned. If Aeperians were notorious for killing humans then how come their prince saved her?

Damon picked up his tunic from the floor, and Morgana thought of something else that was unusual about Aeperos Court. "I noticed during the Spring Ball that the Aeperian Guards were Ladies of the Court." Morgana gingerly touched the healing balm on her leg. "Is that something they usually allow?"

"Of course. But that's typical of a barbaric culture."

Morgana's eyes narrowed. "How is allowing females in the guard barbaric?"

"Because ladies are ladies and should act accordingly."

Anger flared inside Morgana's chest. "Well, I think it's more barbaric to expect females to waste their lives and their minds by playing housemaid to some lazy male. Although that wouldn't happen if I were lucky enough to find a Lady suitor, I know she wouldn't treat me terribly."

"Ladies who have their own finances are rare so I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. But in saying that, does that mean you'd rather be in the guard doing grunt work?" Damon snorted. "Instead of sitting in a gorgeous manor organizing the household servants where your largest worries will be whether you planned your parties or dinners well?" He picked up a couple of mats and placed them in a wooden cupboard along the wall.

"I couldn't think of anything more dull, brother. If you think that's fun then by all means you should organize parties and do decorating and whatever other boring thing you think females should do. It's not fair that the fun and smart choices are allowed for males. At least you have options. If you were born female, then you'd be stuck in the same boat as Aelys and I. You wouldn't be General or Heir to the throne."