Chapter 4

A cool breeze swirled, wafting the intoxicating smell of hyacinth. Soft footfalls made Morgana turn. Shock bolted through her at the sight of Prince Caliath stepping out of the castle's shadow. A lock of dark hair framed his brow and his crown glinted in the moonlight. Caliath's fine suit blended into the night as if it were made of shadow.

"Are you okay?" his eyes were so filled with concern that Morgana felt a lump rise in her throat.

All the adrenalin from the attack rose to the surface and she burst into tears.

Warm strong arms enveloped her. "It's okay. They can't hurt you now," Caliath whispered.

Morgana sobbed into his chest. Even though Caliath was a stranger, she felt safe in his arms. For some strange reason it made her cry even harder. He stroked her hair until her tears stopped and embarrassment crept in.

Morgana was crying in a fae's arms.

And not just any fae.

The Aeperian Prince's arms.

She swallowed and looked up at him. The moonlight dappled Caliath's face, giving his features an ethereal quality. Warmth raced up Morgana's swollen cheeks as she realized that she was staring at Caliath for far too long to be considered polite. Morgana took a hasty step back, and wiped her tears, mouth dropping open in mortification at the damp patch on his chest. "Your Highness. Your suit is..."

"It's fine." He gave her a small smile.

"I'm sorry for ruining your suit and for my state of dress." Morgana curtseyed and felt more blood drip onto her silk shorts. Her cheeks were on fire as she tried to covertly pat her wound with her camisole.

Caliath's brow furrowed, and he pulled a pale handkerchief from his pocket. "May I?"

Morgana stared at him a moment, then gave a small nod.

He knelt and gently lifted her camisole. Cool air kissed Morgana's skin and Caliath gently placed his handkerchief over her wound. Morgana's stomach flipped at the sight of him kneeling before her. He was royal and tending to her wound like a servant. What in the Goddess was happening?

A wave of dizziness hit her and she swayed.

Caliath's free hand went to her hip, steadying her. "Are you alright? You should sit down."

"I'm fine," Morgana said.

He stared at her for a moment and she became hyperaware of how warm his hand was on her hip. He blinked and removed it like he'd been thinking the same thing, and silently dabbed her wound.

Morgana stared down at his curly dark hair. Then she clenched her fists and looked up at the stars, trying to quell the hysteria rising in her chest. After the ceremony and the attack from her bullies, she'd been exposed to too much magic. How long would she have till the magic would eat her mind and tear her apart?

Morgana watched Caliath tend to her wound for a moment, then blurted, "Why did you save me?"

"You seemed terrified in the ballroom."

Morgana recalled that moment, how Elvenia's poisoned words had killed any hope she'd had, The Aeperians hate humans.

"I saw you head-butt one of them. I wanted to make sure you were safe."

A heavy silence followed where Morgana's mind raced. "Why would you bother? I'm a human, you're fae."

Caliath's hand paused. "Not all fae think humans are beneath them."

Morgana blinked, trying to let that sink in. But she thought of all her textbooks and everything she'd been taught her whole life about how bad the Aeperians were. How they were witch-sympathizers on the wrong side of the war and were known to cause more crimes than Golights, the citizens of Golah Court.

"Really? Do you know other humans? Is that why you're so kind to me?"

"No. But I don't think anyone should be treated differently just because of their species."

Morgana blinked down at him for a moment, wondering whether to believe him or not. "Not a lot of fae share your sentiment."

"I know."

"Especially the aristocracy. They think they're better than everyone."

"They're more powerful than everyone, but certainly not better. Sometimes, I believe them to be the worst of us."

Morgana tried to hide her surprise. "I've never heard a fae say that. Let alone a royal one who is part of the aristocracy."

Caliath silently dabbed her wound.

"I didn't expect someone like you to be this way."

"What did you expect me to be like?" he gave her a grin so warm that Morgana was temporarily disarmed. It was like looking at the sun.

"You're Aeperian, so I thought you'd be cruel."

Prince Caliath gently took Morgana's hand and placed it over the handkerchief. Her skin tingled from where he'd touched it, then he stood up.

"We're not all bad."

"I can see that." Morgana's palms grew sweaty. "Thank you. My family will be so grateful when they find out you helped save me."

At that, Caliath's lips pursed and he looked at the ground. "Can I ask a strange favor of you?"

Foreboding pooled into Morgana's stomach like oil.

There it was.

The real reason he saved her.

He probably didn't care for humans at all but rather did this so he could get something in return, perhaps a favor from the Golah family? Morgana tried to hide her disappointment. She should've known. He was a fae after all. An Aeperian fae.

An uncomfortable silence passed between them, then she hitched her lips into a smile. "Of course, Your Highness. What is the favor you ask?"