Chapter 14

It was mid-morning when Morgana entered the training room to meet Alexander, the fae who'd trained Aelys and Damon in elemental combat since they were faelings.

Damon introduced Alexander, who shook Morgana's hand firmly, his palm rough with calluses.

Alexander was an older fae with tanned skin, laugh lines, and short grey hair. He wore black training clothes and had an athletic build, which made Morgana wonder if the training was going to be physically demanding.

Footsteps at the door made them turn.

King Erik walked in, wearing a suit made of crushed indigo velvet. His gold crown winked from the midday sun that was pouring through the high windows.

Alexander and Damon bowed.

Morgana curtseyed.

Erik gave them a once over. "Has it begun?"

"Not yet, father," answered Damon.

"Good, I'll observe." King Erik walked over to a row of benches and sat down.

Morgana glanced at Damon who wore black training clothes like Alexander's. Why was Erik here? Why did he want to watch her training session?

The room was suddenly hot and suffocating. It didn't help that the sun bounced off the swords and armor, heating the quartz room like an oven. Morgana dabbed her brow.

"I've spoken to Alexander, and we've come up with a training plan for you," said Damon. "First, you'll learn how to sense and recognize the different elements, and then you'll learn how to repress them. Over time this should reduce the amount of magic your body absorbs and mitigate the damage it can cause."

"It will be normal for some of the magic to escape during these sessions," Alexander said. "But it's necessary for it to escape in a safe environment whilst you learn how to control it."

"You must keep these training sessions secret, Morgana," Damon said, eyes flicking to his father.

Erik's face was like a mask.

"Only the four of us know about it."

Morgana nodded, her mouth suddenly dry. Who would she tell anyway?

Damon stepped to the side and revealed a row of ceramic bowls lined up along the floor. The first bowl held five sticks of incense that swirled sandalwood smoke into the air. The second bowl was filled with water, the third a large candle, and the last one was filled with dirt.

Damon went to the corner of the room and Alexander stepped forward. "These bowls will help us identify which element comes forth because the contents will agitate for the element present. It will also serve as a focal point for you," Alexander said. "Did you have your elixir this morning?"

"Yes." She'd lain in her bed for a good two hours afterwards, sweating and shaking. She was drained and nauseous and hoped that this training session wouldn't be too taxing.

"Good. Please, take a seat." Alexander pointed to a spot in front of the bowls.

Morgana sat down on the stone floor with a thumping heart.

"I need you to take a deep breath and relax. Focus on your surroundings."

Morgana closed her eyes and took a deep breath. She heard Damon shift in the corner, and the crackle of the candle's flame. The smell of sandalwood curled around her, lulling her, as if she were in a fragrant field all by herself.

She took another deep breath, mind going empty, heart slowing.

Then a spark flashed in the corner of her eye and she jumped. What was that? A force she'd never felt before crept forward like a shy kitten begging for food. She frowned, wondering which element it was. A bead of sweat rolled down her temple. Go away, she begged the unseen force. It felt like it was hiding something from her, like the force was pretending to be a kitten when really it was a panther hiding in a tree.