Chapter 10

Morgana woke to aching muscles and a pounding headache.

She rolled over onto her side, breath shallow and labored. It was as if she had a horrible hangover, like the time Damon and her had shared five bottles of wine one hot summer evening last year. They'd decided to have a picnic in the gardens but after the fifth bottle Damon had passed out on a stone bench, and Morgana had vomited into the rose bushes.

Now, she curled into a shivering ball and wondered whether a bath would make her feel better. Her sheets were damp with sweat and smelled sour like spoiled berries.

Despite feeling horrible like she'd caught every disease in the mortal realm, Morgana forced herself to take another dose of the elixir and almost threw up. The idea of a bath went out the window because even that felt like too much effort.

Even dressing herself was a chore because the fabric from her sunset chiffon dress felt like fire razing her skin.

Morgana shuffled her way to the dining room, having to rest a couple of times because her legs were weak and trembly. Her stomach growled and her mouth was as arid as a desert. She felt like she hadn't eaten or drank in days. When Morgana got to the dining room, sweat streaked her back and she rested against the doorframe, breathless.

It was then that Morgana realized she'd slept in and missed breakfast. The dining table was laden with silver dishes full of fish cooked in lemon butter, bowls of vibrant salads, and platters of bread. The entire Golah family was seated at the table, with the harsh sun streaming over them. The light was too bright and made her head hurt.

At the head of the table King Erik was cutting into a piece of salmon. He wore a chartreuse suit made of velvet and his gold crown glinted.

Larania wore a voluminous plum-colored gown and sipped a glass of white wine that was harvested from one of the many wineries in the Dranadak territory, her hair was in a single braid down her back woven with diamonds.

Damon wore a caramel suit embroidered with gold vines and was putting a forkful of sweet potato in his mouth.

Aelys wore a sparkly dress that looked as if it were made from sunshine, her hair hung in golden waves, and a gnome topped up her wineglass with sparkling champagne.

"You're finally up." Erik's voice cut through the silence, eyes still on his plate.

Chairs squeaked as everyone faced Morgana.

Only Damon and Larania smiled.

"Happy Birthday, darling," Larania beamed, getting out of her chair, and walking over to Morgana with open arms. The smell of roses enveloped her with Larania's hug. After a moment, they parted, and Larania caught sight of Morgana's face. Larania frowned. "Oh dear." She trailed a finger along Morgana's cheek. "Are you ill? You look so pale."

Morgana took Larania's hand in hers. "I'm okay, I just had to take more of the elixir," her voice creaked like an old door.

"The side-effects will become more manageable over time." Damon patted his lips with a napkin, stood up, and walked over to them.

"It's never made me this sick before."

"That means it's working."

"Why do you have to take more elixir?" Larania's brow creased.

Morgana and Damon swapped a glance, then King Erik fixed Damon with a piercing stare.

Aelys shifted in her chair.

"It's just an extra precaution." Damon gave Larania a reassuring smile, then turned to Morgana. "On a more important note, Happy Birthday." He planted a kiss on her cheek.