Chapter 19

On the night of the Summer Ball, Morgana sat on the edge of her bed wearing a magnificent gown of jade silk and a circlet of diamonds on her head. She stared at the fresh bottle of elixir that the healer had brought her earlier that morning. Make sure you have three doses, he'd grinned. She'd smiled back and nodded, but as soon as he left the room the smile dropped from her face.

A seed of distrust had been planted ever since Aelys told her that the elixir contained aconite, and the seed grew like a weed around her heart. Morgana couldn't help but feel that it was true she was being poisoned. This was the longest she'd gone without taking the elixir and she'd never felt better. The memory of her childhood cottage on fire didn't help matters at all. She'd always known the childhood story of Damon and Erik saving her from the cottage fire, but what shadowed this story was her new memory of that night. She couldn't stop thinking about the expression on Damon's face when he stood at the foot of her bed. He was cold, so different from the Damon she knew now. And it seemed that Erik and Damon were in the fire long enough to have saved her parents. So, why didn't they?

Morgana bit her lip and her stomach clenched. Surely, Damon hadn't left her parents to burn to death. Perhaps, she was overthinking things and what she remembered was Damon and Erik arriving in time to save her? But something about it still didn't feel right. And it didn't stop her from feeling like her world had been tilted on its axis.

Aelys and Larania walked into Morgana's bedroom wearing splendid gowns that matched the color scheme of summer. Aelys wore a gold dress layered with organza and a crown of topaz. Her blond hair was fashioned into a fishtail braid that had tiny strands of gold woven through it. Queen Larania wore an emerald- green brocade gown, patterned with gold roses. A crown of diamonds was atop her chestnut hair.

"It's time for us to go, Morgana," said Aelys.

"You look marvelous." Larania beamed at Morgana. "Perhaps, you'll find a suitor tonight?"

Morgana glanced at Aelys, who hid a grin behind her hand.

"We'll see mother." Morgana walked around her bed and followed Aelys and Larania into the hallway. They headed towards the ballroom and met Damon halfway down a staircase. He wore a champagne suit and a gold crown that matched Aelys's dress.

"You're looking well today." Damon gave Morgana a puzzled look. "Have you been taking the right amount of elixir doses?"

"Yes," she lied. "But I've been having Aelys's healing tonic as well. It's been helping." Her stomach squirmed with guilt. She didn't want to lie to Damon but keeping her knowledge about the elixir quiet was the safest bet for now.

"Okay. I'm glad the tonic is helping with the side-effects."

Aelys gave her a sideways glance.

They rounded a corner and waited on the same red carpet from the Spring Ball. Soon, a small gnome announced them into the magnificent ballroom. Pale-blue and white wisteria dripped from the ceiling, like a clear summer sky stippled with clouds. Quartz pillars were adorned with all manner of yellow flowers; daffodils, sunflowers, and ranunculus. The floor was laid with soft grass, and there were toadstools that had wine and glowing jars of sunlight. Candles glowed from every surface and the air smelled of fresh flowers and grass.

As always, King Erik was seated on his throne first, whilst his family came in like an afterthought. He wore a suit that made Morgana think of garish gold statues. The crowd of wealthy fae and aristocrats wore gowns and suits in the colors of summer; green, yellow, and gold. They looked like a field of carnivorous yellow trumpets.

Aelys climbed the dais and sat on her throne, whilst Morgana took a seat to the side. They spotted Matthias in the crowd, drinking a glass of champagne, and swapped a knowing look. After the ceremony Morgana and Aelys planned to meet at the maze then break into his chambers.