Chapter 34

The evening sun set the treetops ablaze with gold light. Morgana wore a silky copper gown, and her curly hair was draped over one shoulder. She stood with a crowd of fae that had gathered for Autumn Ceremony. All of them wore resplendent ball gowns and suits in varying shades of warm brown, golden yellow, or deep red, like a forest floor blanketed with crisp autumn leaves.

There was a new High Seer conducting the ceremony. A much younger fae that had been an acolyte of Balthazaar's named Andras. He was handsome, with olive skin, and lilac hair. Andras looked as if he was Morgana's age. But despite his good looks Morgana thought there was something unsettling in his pale blue eyes, or perhaps it was the nod of acknowledgement that he and Erik shared prior to the ceremony. Morgana wondered if Balthazaar had died because of Erik's secret. Not that she cared. He was part of the witches' genocide after all.

King Erik wore a scarlet suit embroidered with gold, and blood dripped from his cut palm into the soil.

Morgana's eyes narrowed. It was tradition for the most powerful Elysian citizens to nourish the earth with their blood at a Seasonal Ceremony, and it made her wonder what would happen if she dripped her blood into the soil. Would the land be more fruitful? Would the fae and faeries thrive? She wondered if the witches had their own traditions when honoring the Goddess on Seasonal Ceremonies. None of the history books mentioned them, but then again, all the history about the witches in Golah Court were lies. Tales to portray them as evil beings who started a war for power.

King Erik looked up and met Morgana's gaze, and a cold wind pelted through the trees. The leaves turned yellow, signaling the beginning of autumn. Erik frowned at the look on Morgana's face, it was as if she were etched from ice. Another chilly gust and the fae gasped, pointing to the sky. Dark clouds roiled on the horizon, much too quick to be natural. Erik looked at the clouds then back at Morgana and a strange feeling squirmed in his belly like a tiny worm. It was a feeling he hadn't had in a while. It was fear.

Morgana cast her gaze to the fae lords that were entranced by the storm clouds bearing down on them.

"This has never happened before," hissed Lord Dranadak, who wore a bronze suit made of velvet. "The Seasonal Ceremonies always signal the beginning of each season. It's not supposed to storm."

"Do you think the Goddess is angry?" asked Lord Elwyn, who wore a suit patterned with fallen oak leaves.

Morgana's mouth lifted into a small smile as the first drops of rain kissed her cheeks. The lords had no idea what was coming.

Later in the ballroom, Morgana stood near the terrace doors, scanning the crowd of dancing fae for Caliath. The ballroom was adorned with brown oak leaves that twined around pillars. Yellow and orange wisteria dripped from the ceiling, along with thin strands of gold. There were tiny pumpkin cakes, and bottles of cinnamon wine on pale wood tables. The doors to the ballroom were open and lightning flashed as rain pattered onto the terrace. A damp breeze stirred the smell of nutmeg and flowery fae scents. Golden candles flickered, and the orchestra played a haunting waltz that conjured up images of warm fireplaces and cool nights in Morgana's mind.

"Come dance with me and Brighid," Aelys sidled up next to Morgana, wearing a yellow and gold tulle gown.

"I'm looking for Prince Caliath."

Aelys's voice dropped to a whisper. "Why?"

"I need to tell him about the unbreakable contract. I'm certain he doesn't know about it. I want to get him on our side. If he's free of the contract he could help us."

Aelys stared at Morgana, then downed her cinnamon wine. "Do you trust him?"

"I do."

"Do you want me to come with you?"