Chapter 2

The murmurs in the ballroom died, and Morgana's stomach roiled as if she'd drank curdled milk.

"Her Majesty, Queen Larania of Golah Court!" announced the gnome.

Queen Larania glided through the doors as graceful as a swan, head held high. A smattering of applause followed, and Morgana's mouth ran dry as she looked at the ceiling.

All too shortly Damon was announced, then Aelys.

Morgana's heart thundered as she stepped up to the doors, a loud ringing in her ears.

"Lady Morgana of Golah Court!" the gnome's voice echoed, as if he were shouting from down a deep well.

She stepped through the doorway, and the smell of intoxicating flowers and fruit wrapped around her in a delicious ribbon. The ceiling of the ballroom dripped wisteria and fireflies waltzed between the petals. Under her shoes the ground was carpeted in a mosaic of different petals. Roses, lilies, and orchids climbed the white quartz pillars, and small trees dotted the floor. Beneath the trees were tables overflowing with sugared berries, peaches, and apples. There were glasses of sparkling champagne and ruby wine, ready to be taken.

"You have to go," hissed the gnome, interrupting her admiration of the ballroom.

Morgana hurried down the red carpet and took a sharp turn to where a crowd of aristocratic and wealthy fae stood. They were resplendent in gowns and suits, wearing all manner of colors to celebrate spring. The fae looked as elegant as diamonds in a crown.

Morgana froze, heart thundering, as beautiful immortal faces turned to her like wolves scenting a rabbit. Lips smirked and quaint noses wrinkled in distaste. Their gaze left a trail of fire on Morgana's skin and a flush swept up her neck. She gulped, trying not to search the crowd for the faces of her bullies.

She knew they were there.

She could feel it.

The red carpet went through the crowd to a dais, where her family sat on thrones made of gold and gemstones. An empty chair for Morgana was on the dais below Aelys.

King Erik was in the middle, sitting on the most opulent throne. He wore a suit of dark velvet with a gold crown on his long, platinum, hair. He gazed at Morgana with a stony expression.

Lined up below the dais were two female fae debuting that Spring. They wore sparkling white gowns like Morgana's, a symbol of their debutante status.

Morgana felt as if her dress symbolized her as chum for the sharks.

Her eyes went to Damon who was staring at her wide-eyed. He jerked his head as if to say, move. Morgana blinked and forced her numb feet to walk through the sea of sneering aristocrats and wealthy fae. Her stomach churned, and with her eyes low she curtseyed to her mother. Morgana lined up next to Octavia, a former classmate who had pale skin, pink hair, and smelled of petunias.

Morgana gulped as her mother's gown rustled behind her.

"My esteemed members of Golah Court," Larania announced. "I'm proud to present to you Lady Scilla, Lady Octavia, and Lady Morgana as our new debutantes this spring!"

A smattering of polite applause followed.

"These ladies are exceptional members of our community and whoever shall take them as wives will be a lucky fae indeed," Larania grinned. "Lady Scilla is especially talented at dance, loves to read, and is one of our best fire users." Larania gestured to a beautiful fae with lavender hair and dark skin.

"Lady Octavia has a flair for cooking and has used her earth magic to help build homes in the village." Murmurs of appreciation rippled through the crowd as various ladies and lords looked at Octavia with interest.