Chapter 27

Tears streamed down Morgana's face as she crashed through the woods. The undergrowth snapped beneath her feet, and branches scratched her cheeks, but she didn't care.

She needed to find Aelys.

She needed to tell her.

Morgana realized how much things had changed because she was now seeking Aelys for comfort. In the past she used to turn to Damon, but not anymore. He was not who she thought he was. Morgana never thought he'd be capable of such betrayal.

A sob burst from her lips and the castle lawns became a green smear.

Erik and Damon had kidnapped her and killed her parents.

They'd poisoned her so she would remain weak.

They'd been lying to her since day one...

Morgana collapsed onto the grass and sobbed.

They'd pretended they were her family. Damon pretended that he'd loved and cared for her. But it was all a lie. Morgana now knew she wasn't a human. She was a witch. Stolen from her parents. Robbed of ever knowing them. She could feel it now, the elements, Elysia's magic. A steady hum, ever present beneath her skin, ready for her to harness. She'd once believed that the magic would kill her, but no, it was just another lie that Damon had told her. Another lie to keep her weak.

A sprite flew over to some earthy scented chrysanthemums and started eating a petal, oblivious, without a care in the world. Morgana wished she were that sprite, even for a moment, just so that she could be rid of this pain in her chest.

She stood up and brushed grass off her dirtied training pants, wondering who else might have betrayed her. She wondered if Larania may have been involved somehow. The Queen used to tell Morgana bedtime stories of how she was brought to Golah Court, her eyes would shine with pride whenever she'd recounted the story of Erik and Damon rescuing Morgana from the mortal realm. Larania had said it was one of the best nights of her life because it was the night she'd became the mother of two daughters. Morgana wiped her runny nose and figured the Queen wouldn't know the truth at all. She doubted that Larania would condone the deaths of her parents. The Queen wouldn't be that cruel.

Morgana walked over to a shimmering pond with lily pads and splashed her face. The water soothed her swollen and hot cheeks. She sat back and took deep breaths, needing to collect herself.

Morgana couldn't let Damon or Erik know that she was on to them.

She needed to get to Aelys and figure something out.

Morgana marched through the rose-quartz halls of the castle. Wisteria petals fluttered down like felled butterflies, and courtiers drifted by like colorful fish. Their fae scents invaded her nostrils, as if she were buried beneath a mountain of flowers. She could feel the fae staring at her, hear their whispers behind gloved and bejeweled hands.

It was obvious Morgana had been crying and her muddied appearance didn't help.

She took a turn that went past the council room and then up to Aelys's bedroom. It was a longer route, but no one would be there because the halls were restricted to the royal family and the lords.

Morgana reached the bottom of a staircase and shouts echoed down the hall. It was coming from the council room. She froze, recognizing Balthazaar's raspy voice. Then a door banged open, and Morgana quickly ducked behind a statue of the Goddess sitting on a pile of fruit.

Two guards hauled Balthazaar out of the room. "But your Majesty, we must move now! She'll be the downfall of the Golights!" Balthazaar's face was scarlet and sweaty, eyes wild, wispy hair mussed. His normally pristine High Seer robes were yellowed and stained.

Erik walked out, wearing a regal white suit decorated with gold embroidery. His voice was like a thunderclap. "Take him to Matthias," he ordered the guards. "See to it that his lunacy is remedied. We can't have him speaking nonsense in front of the council members."

"But, Your Majesty," Balthazaar whimpered. "You must listen to me. The witch finds it. She finds it..."

The guards nodded and dragged a wailing Balthazaar down the hall.

A murmuring floated out of the council room and Morgana held her breath. She hadn't known a council meeting was on.

"He's lost it hasn't he?" Lord Moraxes leant against the doorframe, wearing a fine coral-pink suit, dark hair perfectly styled.

Erik only gave him a side-glance.

"If he can't remember that the witches are all dead, then I think it's best if we put him out of his misery." Moraxes arched a brow. "He helped us in the past, but if he keeps this up then some of the aristocracy might think he's speaking the truth and that there's a witch out there."

Erik's face was unreadable. "When a fae reaches a certain age, they return to the Goddess because their minds and bodies aren't what they used to be. Considering Balthazaar is of that age, Matthias will do what he can to help him on his journey."

"Oh," Moraxes grinned. "I should hope so."

Sweat trickled down Morgana's neck as they walked back into the council room and shut the door. Her blood pounded in her ears. If they were sending Balthazaar to Matthias then he was as good as dead.

Morgana crouched down and placed her head in her hands. She knew in her heart that the High Seer was talking about her... After all, he'd predicted her birth.

She glanced to the council room doors. It also seemed that Erik and Damon had kept her existence a secret from the council. Which meant that they didn't know about Allegra's last curse on Erik.