Chapter 12

The following day, Morgana had decided to go to the East Wing, a part of the castle that was barred to visitors. For the past fifty years it had been under renovations. Or so Morgana had been led to believe until she'd asked Damon a few years ago when the renovations would be complete, and he'd said, "There's no renovations. But don't tell anyone. There are parts of the castle our family hide from the public. You can go there, but don't go below the first floor because that's where the vaults are."

"What's in the vaults?"

"Dangerous things. I got a meeting, I'll see you soon." Then he'd got up and left a shocked Morgana in the dining room.

So, armed with a book Morgana wove through the silent and dusty corridors of the East Wing. A place that was filled with empty rooms, crumbling walls, and cracked floors. Weeds had climbed the walls like strangling vines. The air was musty because the place hadn't been cleaned in years. If there were any stragglers who came upon the East Wing at least it held up the ruse that it needed renovations.

Morgana paused in front of a pair of intricate oak doors, the entrance to her hiding place from the Golah family. The doors creaked open and her footfalls were soft on the burgundy carpet. A rusty chandelier full of cobwebs dangled overhead. Dusty and worn furniture dotted the space, as if it were a dumping place for décor that Larania didn't want. Pale light filtered through the grimy windows, and there were bookcases lining the walls. The dust tickled Morgana's nose and she sneezed. But that didn't deter her from sitting down on a moth-eaten sofa to read.

A couple of peaceful hours passed until Morgana heard footsteps echoing down the corridor. She sat up, placed her book down, and tip-toed to the door wondering who it was. She frowned, Damon and Erik were supposed to be in meetings all day, so it couldn't be them.

Morgana cracked open the door and her eyes widened. After a beat, she swung the door wide, heat racing up her cheeks. "What are you doing here?"

Prince Caliath paused midstride, and Morgana's stomach fluttered. She'd almost forgotten how handsome the Aeperian Prince was. His dark hair was nestled under a bronze crown, and he wore a black suit with a burgundy jacket made of velvet. He looked so elegant, mysterious, and out of place in this disused part of the castle.

They stared at each other for a long moment.

Then Caliath swept into a bow, wafting hyacinth. "Lady Morgana, I got lost on my way to my carriage."

Morgana noted that there were no guards escorting Prince Caliath. How odd. She curtseyed. "Your Highness, visitors aren't allowed in this part of the castle."

"My apologies. I wasn't aware of that."

Morgana shut the door behind her, mind racing. "Sorry for being so blunt. But you surprised me. I wasn't expecting to see anyone here."

Caliath smiled, and Morgana's heart quickened.

"My father and I had a trade meeting with Golah Council. How have you been?"

Morgana swallowed and placed a hand over her belly, as if the wound was still fresh from the night Caliath had saved her. "I've been well. Thanks to you for saving me that night."

"I've been thinking about you since then."

Morgana's heart stuttered.

He's been thinking about me?

"I left you on your own without knowing if you'd be okay. I should've stayed with you, but I couldn't risk anyone seeing us together."

Oh. "Why couldn't you risk someone seeing us?"