Chapter 33

The moon was nestled in a starry sky when Morgana and Aelys stepped out of Briar's cottage. A warm wind rustled the garden, wafting the sweet scent of fresh greens, as buttery light spilled from the open doorway.

"We'll keep in touch," Morgana said to Briar. "I think it's best if we leave the grimoire here for now."

"I'll keep it safe for you."

"Thanks, I'll visit after the Autumn Ball and begin my training then, if that's okay with you?"

"Sure. It was a pleasure meeting you both." Briar gave a small bow.

Aelys and Morgana waved their farewells and left Briar's cottage. They walked a path that branched off towards the village, Mist Fields, and woods. The distant lights of the village twinkled, and the darkened woods whispered. Sprites and fireflies wove through the trees, and the grass rippled with will-o'-the-wisps bobbing into the Mist Fields.

"Well... that was awful." Aelys pulled her hood up.

"Yeah, it was a lot." Morgana didn't think that the betrayal was something she could ever forgive. "I think we should go through the Mist Fields."

"Good idea, that way no one will see us. Don't ever follow the will-o'-the-wisps, no matter what you hear or see."

"I know." Ever since Morgana was a child, she'd been schooled to never follow the will-o'-the-wisps lest they lured her to a horrible death.

They turned down a path that led over a grassy hill and into a wall of thick mist that blanketed acres of fields. Dim balls of light floated through the mist, as eerie moans drifted towards them. Laughter and a haunting melody rippled from the fog, echoing the clandestine meetings and illicit parties taking place.

"Have you ever been here during the night?" Aelys turned to Morgana, a strand of golden hair blowing across her cheek.

"No, is it more dangerous?"

"No more dangerous than it is during the day. There've been stories that some fae and faeries have remained lost in the Mist Fields for years."

"Do they ever find their way out?"

"I don't know." Aelys shrugged. "Just make sure you don't stray off the path."

They walked on as the mist swallowed them like some great beast swallowing its next meal. Morgana ignored the music and strange sounds as the mist dampened her skin, cool, and thick. It smelled of morning, of the point before daybreak when anything was possible. A distant scream made her jump.

"It's okay," Aelys looped her arm through Morgana's, whose heart raced as she peered into the grey. She felt as if she were being watched, as if the mist were alive. It curled around her legs, like a cat trying to coax her off the path.

"Shoo." Aelys sent a gust of air magic at Morgana's legs and the mist disappeared.

"Thanks," Morgana murmured.

"You should try it."

"What?"

"Clear the path with your magic. Try using air."

Morgana gulped. "Not sure I'm up for that."

"No better time like the present to start your training." Aelys gave her a pointed look. "It's the little things, Morgana. The more you use it, the stronger you'll get."

"Alright." Morgana stared at the misty path ahead and summoned the element air. The hair on her arms prickled as it swept over her, cool and refreshing like the breeze from the top of a mountain. She raised a hand and sent a strong gust that cleared the path.