Chapter 16

It was a clear balmy night and Morgana gazed out over the field of chrysanthemums, peonies, daffodils, and jasmine. A breeze swayed the flowers, wafting their scent over the party of fae. Glowing will-o'-the-wisps and fireflies bobbed through the flowers. Voices and music ebbed like waves on a beach.

Yet, Morgana couldn't stop thinking about the dream she'd had the night before. It was the third dream she'd had about the witches. Initially, she'd thought her first dream was due to stress but now she wasn't so sure. Morgana hoped it wasn't a sign that she'd absorbed too much of Elysia's magic. It puzzled her that she was dreaming about the witches in the first place. They were evil, and many fae and faeries sickened or died because of their magic. Perhaps the dreams were because she worried about Elysia's magic all the time. Worried that it would eat her from the inside out, like how the witches' magic had eaten the land.

Morgana turned back to the party where clusters of fae in fine suits and gowns had gathered in the courtyard. The chattering fae stood around gigantic golden flowers that had long petals draping the floor. These flowers were used as tables and had bottles of wine and vanilla cakes on them. Beyond the courtyard was a Resnim Forest, gigantic purple flowers that looked similar to lilies and were as tall as trees. Bordering the courtyard were clusters of Victra, tiny blue flowers that glowed like stars. There was a crowd around a gigantic spiky orange flower called Laseed that shimmered in the moonlight as if kissed by pixie dust. Two gnomes sat underneath a fern, playing the violin and drums, as sprites in all colors of the rainbow danced through the air.

"Here, take this," Aelys pressed a glass of champagne into Morgana's hand. She wore a beautiful gown that shimmered like stardust.

"Thanks," Morgana smiled and took a sip.

"Do you want to meet my friends?"

"Maybe later. I want to explore Native Grove. It's my first time here." Morgana eyed the spiky orange flower.

"Really? I can't believe you haven't been here before. We have flowers from the mortal realm over there." Aelys gestured towards the field of swaying flowers behind Morgana. "But the flowers in Native Grove only grow in Elysia because they feed off the magic in the land. I can show you around if you like? There's a path that goes through the Resnim Forest and leads to a lake."

Just then Brighid called out to Aelys. She was standing with a group of Aelys's friends, who all wore exquisite gowns and suits.

"You should get back to your friends." Morgana eyed the group of fae, who were looking at her curiously. No doubt wondering why Aelys had recently chosen to be friendly with Morgana.

She still didn't feel confident enough to mingle with Aelys's friends.

"You can come with me if you like?"

Morgana swallowed the rest of the champagne, and a light buzz settled over her. "Maybe in a bit."

Aelys nodded. "Come find me, after you're done exploring."

"I will. And thank you for inviting me."

"Anytime, I want us to be closer from now on." Aelys smiled and squeezed Morgana's arm.

She smiled back, chest warming.

Aelys walked over to her group of friends, and Morgana wove her way through the party of chatting fae till she got to the stone path that went through the Resnim Forest. Fae strolled the path and pointed at the gigantic leaves and petals overhead. Morgana trailed after them and the music faded as she went deeper into the forest. Hushed murmurs from the fae discussing the native flowers filled the silence. In front of Morgana was a fae couple, who wore fine suits and were linked arm in arm. Elderflower smoke trailed behind them, and she fell back a step, not wanting to feel the dizzying effects of elderflower. There was a soft snap overhead, and Morgana gasped as a large purple petal the size of a blanket fell. It was about to land on the couple in front, but one of the fae waved his hand and the petal glided to the base of a Resnim flower. The couple stepped off the path and melted into the forest, leaving Morgana on her own. The other group of fae had disappeared further along the path.