History Class

POV - Whitley

“When do we have lunch,” Ilia asked.

“Right now,” Flynt answered.

“So what’s it like to live in that giant manor,” Neon asked.

“It can be a bit much, but it’s nice to know that if you pick up a new hobby, there is a room you can dedicate to that hobby,” I answered.

“So do you get special meals being a Schnee,” Flynt asked.

“No,” I answered.

“Oh so you have to eat with us peasants,” Flynt joked.

“Oh the horror,” I joked.

Our joking made Neon and Ilia laugh.

“So what’s on the menu today,” Neon asked.

"Roasted chicken, with steamed green beans and mashed potatoes with gravy or steak with a side of broccoli and cheese and asparagus," Flynt answered.

"No fish," Neon asked.

"Not today, sorry," Flynt answered.

"Roasted chicken actually sounds pretty good," I said.

"It does, doesn't it," Ilia said, agreeing with me.

"So do we have a certain spot where we have to sit or do we just pick one," Neon asked.

"We just pick a spot," Flynt answered.

"Oh ok," Neon said.

We stepped into the massive cafeteria and as we continued talking idly about anything that came to mind. We stepped into the line with Neon back on my shoulder.

"So Whitley, I got a question," Neon said.

“Being,” I asked.

“How is it being rich,” she asked.

“It’s been my whole life so I couldn’t tell you,” I answered.

“But you experienced what it’s like to be poor when you were in the mountains didn’t you,” she asked.

‘I need a good lie’

“For two weeks I had to learn to survive on my own, but after those two weeks I was found by a woman who I now owe my life. She taught me a lot of what I know, she taught me how to dress like a normal person, to not appear above others, she taught me how to care for everyone no matter how they treat me, but she also taught me to defend anyone who is in a lesser place than me,” I said.

‘Not necessarily a complet lie’

I looked at Neon, her face showed deep thought.

‘She’s really thinking about my words, that might be bad if she finds out’

“That’s… a lot,” she said.

“Yeah, but if it didn’t happen, I wouldn’t be here,” I said.

I looked around me for a second to try and think of what to say.

“What a load of crap,” someone said.

‘What’

“If you got lost in the mountains way didn’t any one hear about it,” the same person asked.

“Actually we did, well at least the important people did,” a girl answered for me.

“What is that supposed to mean,” the early person asked.

“It means your family isn’t considered important to the Schnee family, so your family wasn’t told of his disappearance,” the girl said.

‘She sounds familiar’