Combat Class

POV - Ilia

I walked out of Professor Gaia's class with Flynt and Neon in tow. I turned to look for Whitley and saw him talking to Professor Gaia. "What is he doing," I asked.

Neon turned to look at him before looking at me. "Whitley said something about a letter from his mom for Professor Gaia," Neon said, answering my question.

"Oh, ok," I said before leaning on the wall next to the door. After a few minutes Whitley handed Professor Gaia the letter and walked toward us. "So how'd it go," I asked.

"We talked about my mom and her time here and how Professor Gaia lost count of the number of times she had to reprimand Ironwood and my mom to stop talking to one another when she was giving instructions," Whitley answered.

"Wait, your mom and the General are friends," Flynt asked.

"Let's just say that if Ironwood became General a few months sooner, he and my mom would have gotten married instead of Jacques," Whitley said.

"So they were dating," I said.

"Dating and madly in love, unfortunately Jacques had his fangs deep in my grandfather's neck before Ironwood could ask for my mother's hand in marriage," Whitley said with a grimace.

"I'm sorry to hear that," Flynt said, "Ever wonder what it would be like?"

"Yes, often in fact," Whitley answered.

"Well I hate to change the subject, Whitley you said something about combat class being interesting," I said changing the subject.

"Yeah, with Simo as our instructor we are all going to be seeing improvement in our combat prowess. If you don't then you best start praying to the brother gods for their forgiveness and salvation," Whitley said.

"How do you know this," Neon asked.

"He taught me how to handle my rifle," Whitley answered before seemingly materializing a rifle from behind him.

"What-where-how," Neon asked in rapid succession.

"That's a little trick I came up with myself," Whitley said before making the rifle disappear behind just as quickly as he had made it appear.

"So what do we do to get on his good side," I asked.

"Succeed," Whitley answered. His last few answers had been less than helpful, but that was probably on purpose.

We walked down the never ending halls of Atlas Academy making our way toward our class. The class was held in one of four combat arenas that Atlas Academy held. Part of me was surprised by the scale of the school but the rest of me knew why it was this way. We walked down a flight of stairs when someone pushed through me and Neon.

'Not this shit'

"Freak," another boy said as he pushed me aside. He tried to keep walking but was stopped when Whitley put a firm hand on his shoulder.

"Is there a problem," Whitley asked calmly, I could tell that he was anything but.

"No, that freak was in my way," he said without looking at Whitley.

'Please just punch him'

It was like he read my mind. Whitley's fist made contact with the dickhead's cheek. The dickhead stumbled back before wobbling down the stairs without falling.

"What the fuck maa.... Mr. Schnee," the first guy who pushed through me and Neon said as one of them finally looked at Whitley.

'It's funny how he's pretty much untouchable here'