Chapter 20

Leo had said they were close. His idea of 'close' needed some work.

After trudging half a mile through hot fields, getting bitten by mosquitoes and whacked in the face with scratchy sunflowers, they finally reached the road. An old billboard for Bubba's Gas 'n' Grub indicated they were still forty miles from the first Topeka exit.

"Correct my math," Percy said, "but doesn't that mean we have eight miles to walk?"

"Unfortunately," Cressida sighed. "And I never thought I'd be saying this, you did math right that time."

"No cars," Jason said as he peered both ways down the deserted road.

"But I guess we wouldn't want to hitchhike."

"No," Piper agreed, gazing nervously down the highway. "We've already spent too much time going overland. The earth is Gaia's territory."

"Hmm..." Jason snapped his fingers. "I can call a friend for a ride."

Percy raised his eyebrows. "Oh, yeah? Me too. Let's see whose friend gets here first."

Jason whistled and Piper knew that he was summoning Tempest, the storm spirit they met at the Wolf House as Cressida punched the air in excitement, Percy smiling at her before he closed his eyes and concentrated. Clearly, she knew what he was doing.

Piper hadn't studied him up close before. After hearing so much at Camp Half-Blood about Percy Jackson this and Percy Jackson that, she thought he looked...well, unimpressive, especially next to Jason. Percy was more slender, about an inch shorter, with slightly longer, much darker hair. He wasn't really Piper's type. If she'd seen him in the mall somewhere, she probably would've thought he was a skater—cute in a scruffy way, a little on the wild side, definitely a troublemaker. She would have steered clear. She had enough trouble in her life. She guessed she could understand why he and Cressida were so good together. If there was anyone that could keep him under control, it was her. She'd seen it in action. And she'd heard about it the other way around as well.

Thunder crackled in the clear sky. Jason smiled. "Soon."

"Too late." Percy pointed east, where a black-winged shape was spiralling toward them.

"A black pegasus?" Piper said in amazement. "Is that the one that you-"

"Arrived at camp on and came to save you with and the steed that let me beat you to the Wolf House, all with dramatic flair? Yep," Cressida grinned before the winged stallion came in for a landing.

He nuzzled Percy's face first, clearly glad that his master was ok. And then he saw Cressida.

"Hi, BJ," she smiled before the steed moved over to nuzzle her as she rubbed his nose.

"Dude," Percy called. "Lay off my girl," Percy spoke and Jason furrowed his brows, thinking that Percy was speaking to him.

"Relax, Fish Face," Cressida smiled as the pegasus seemed to smell her hair. "I may love Blackjack, but I love you more."

Percy's face softened at the sound of those words as if they made him forget everything he was thinking about before then until the horse turned his head towards Piper and Jason, seeming to try and put himself in front of Cressida in case they were a threat.

"Blackjack," Percy said calmly. "This is Piper and Jason. They're friends."

The horse nickered.

"Uh, maybe later," Percy answered.

"What does Blackjack want?" Piper asked, quite interested in seeing the son of Poseidon talking to horses.

"Doughnuts," Percy said. "Always doughnuts."