The Chalice of the Gods - Part Eight

They caught a taxi uptown which was the fastest way to get there. Annabeth had headed to school since her campus was a few blocks away from the Park. Grover also went about trying to get the nature spirits to return to the Park now that Geras was gone, so that left the two of them to return the chalice.

"So you do have a plan right?" Percy asked nervously as they rode. "And not one like when we came home and you said I had to wing it to see my mom again?"

"Well, granted, there will be some element of improv seeing as we're breaking into Zeus's place, but for the most part, it's a solid plan. Get onto the elevator, slip into the palace kitchens get the cup to Ganymede."

"It sounds simple, but I feel like it will be a lot harder than that. Especially since your father and several other major gods are founding members of the 'We Hate Percy Jackson Club.'"

"Oh, would you relax? Compared to fighting Old Age, breaking into Olympus is nothing. Especially since I have a key."

"And you're sure that the sentry guy will let me go up there? Even if I'm with you?"

"I guess, we'll find out."

"Cress-"

"Hey," she said as she turned to him. "Do you trust me?"

"With my life," he answered without hesitation and she kissed him.

"Then we got this."

They pulled up to the Empire State Building which was a disappointingly fast trip. Percy stared at the black marble entrance that he really only went up like once or twice a year as compared to his girlfriend's like once or twice a fortnight.

Cressida paid the cabbie before she marched through the doors, Percy following behind her.

Inside, the lobby was mostly empty. Ever since they'd moved the tourist lines over to the West 34th Street entrance a few years ago, the Fifth Avenue entrance was a lot calmer, and today it was too early for much foot traffic. The usual guards stood by the doors. A few office workers stumbled toward the elevators, but that was it.

Percy never liked it because it always reminded him of Mount Othrys, the way all the gloomy stone closed in on you. Apparently, this wasn't an area that Annabeth was designated to redesign.

Percy blindly followed Cressida over to the main reception desk where the sentry guy was kicking back and reading a book as usual.

"Ralphie," Cressida greeted. "Tell me that it's as good as I told you."

"Hey, well if it isn't my favourite demigod," the guard - Ralphie - greeted. "It's better. I haven't put it down."

"I told you so. the sequel comes out in a few months. Can I pick you up a copy?" she offered and Percy realised that they were talking about the book he was reading.

"If the ending is as good as what I've read so far, definitely."

"Oh, trust me, it is."

"You heading up to see your father?" Ralphie asked.

"Yeah. Another delivery, because gods forbid, Papa makes Hermes do his job."

The guard chuckled. "You got your card on you?" he asked.

"Yep, right here," she said as she reached into her boot, pulled out a shining silver card, and handed it over.

Ralphie swiped the card and it let out a beep as he tapped a keyboard Percy didn't realise was there. "You're all good to go," he said as he handed the card back along with the key card for the elevator. "But he stays down here."