Demigods & Magicians - Part One (Percy & Carter)

Despite them mostly living in Manhattan, Cressida and Percy still had their fair share of demigod problems.

For starters, Percy's task of dealing with the crocodile that had been terrorising Long Island for weeks did not go as planned. And for once, it wasn't completely his fault.

"The crocodile. Where did it go?" the dark-skinned boy said.

Percy just frowned. He'd had a lot of mixed reactions to saving people's lives before, but this was certainly not one of them. He'd rather save his girlfriend where he'd get a kiss, or they'd bicker and then they'd kiss.

"You're welcome."

"What?" the boy with the weird sword said after Percy had freed him from the crocodile's mouth.

"I stuck that croc in the ass." He mimicked the action with his sword. "That's why it vomited you up. So, you're welcome. What were you doing in there?"

"I was resting," the boy snapped. "What do you think I was doing? Now, who are you, and why are you fighting my monster?"

"Your monster?!"

Percy trudged through the water, the mystery boy seeming a little concerned. "Look, man, I don't know who you are, but that crocodile has been terrorizing Long Island for weeks. I take that kind of personally, as this is my home turf. A few days ago, it ate one of our pegasi. Not to mention my girlfriend -"

"Did you say pegasi?"

Percy waved the question away, getting a little annoyed with this kid, even though he was younger than him. Where was his semi-peace-maker girlfriend when he needed her?

Oh, that was right. She was taking the skills she learned from Beckendorf and Leo to put together his little sister's new crib because Paul and Percy couldn't make heads or tails of the instructions to save their lives.

"Is it your monster or not?"

"I don't own it!" the boy growled. "I'm trying to stop it! Now, where-"

"The croc headed that way." He pointed his sword to the south. "I would already be chasing it, but you surprised me."

Percy was sizing the kid up which was disconcerting since Percy was a foot taller than the kid. And the kid was also taking in Percy's strange appearance as well. Finally, Percy shook his head. "I give up. Son of Ares? You've got to be a half-blood, but what happened to your sword? It's all bent."

"It's a khopesh," the boy said, clearly getting angry. "It's supposed to be curved. Just get out of here. I've got a crocodile to catch."

Percy huffed at his audacity (it definitely wasn't attractive when it didn't come from Cressida). "Dude, I have to catch the crocodile. Last time you tried, it ate you. Remember?"

The boy's fingers tightened around his sword hilt. "I had everything under control. I was about to summon a fist -"

And suddenly a giant fist the size of a dishwasher shimmered into existence and slammed into Percy's chest. He was literally knocked out of his shoes and his feet were now bare as he was knocked from the river so far that he disappeared from sight.

The boy hit himself on the forehead. "Oh great." and he started to wade across the marsh. "Man, I'm sorry!" he yelled. "Are you-"

See, Percy Jackson was ridiculously in love with his girlfriend; he had been for years. And as such, some of her traits and talents had rubbed off on him. Such as his ability to make a dramatic entrance.

The wave came out of nowhere.

A twenty-foot wall of water slammed into the boy and pushed him back into the river before he came up spluttering. And Percy leapt at him, sword raised.