Chapter 47

The giants attacked first.

Together they picked up a fake mountain probably as big as Sally's apartment and hurled it at them.

They bolted. Percy wrapped his arm around Cressida's waist as they and Jason dove into the nearest trench and the mountain shattered above them, spraying them with plaster shrapnel. It wasn't deadly, but it stung like crazy, even though Percy was trying to shield his girlfriend from most of it.

The crowd jeered and shouted for blood. "Fight! Fight!"

"I'll take Otis?" Jason called over the noise to Percy. "Or do you want him this time?"

"Because that strategy worked so well the first time?!" Cressida snapped as they got up.

"She's right," Percy said, choosing now to finally accept everything his girlfriend was telling him about being insecure and trying to hold the weight of the entire quest on his shoulders. "We attack together. Otis first, because he's weaker. Take him out quickly and move to Ephialtes. Bronze and gold together— maybe that'll keep them from re-forming a little longer."

Jason smiled dryly like he'd just found out he would die in an embarrassing way. "Why not?" he agreed. "But Ephialtes isn't going to stand there and wait while we kill his brother. Unless—"

"Good wind today," Percy offered. "And there are some water pipes running under the arena."

Jason understood immediately. He laughed, and Percy felt a spark of friendship. This guy thought the same way he did about a lot of things.

"On three?" Jason said.

"Why wait?"

"Oh, please," Cressida interrupted. "Allow me to set the stage for this budding bromance."

And Percy cupped his hands together as he launched Cressida out of the trench, and she landed with an explosion of purple fire.

"Ladies and gentlemen, annoying gods and giants of all ages," she said as the twins threw another mountain and Cressida threw her spear. The plaster and steel that made it was easily cleaved in two by the Celestial Bronze of her weapon as it sailed through and the pieces landed on either side of her, plaster dust swirling around her in a very dramatic fashion. "I give you, your main event!" she bellowed, the crowd cheering louder with every word. "Starring, yours truly." And she took a dramatic bow. "And in our supporting roles, we have, the saviour of Olympus, conqueror of Kronos, love of my life and the son of Poseidon, Percy Jackson!"

He didn't know how she did it, but a spotlight seemed to shine down on him as he charged out of the trench and gave a dramatic bow by her side as the crowd roared and he held Riptide in the air.

"Supporting role, really?" he whispered, still keeping a smile on his face as he waved to the crowd.

"Please, we all know I'm the main character," she whispered back as the giants prepared to throw a third fake mountain. "And, Praetor of New Rome, conqueror of Mount Othrys, younger brother of Thalia Grace and the son of Jupiter, Jason Grace!"

Another spotlight, as Jason took his cue bowing as the crowd continued to cheer. "Brother of Thalia Grace? What's with these titles?" he asked, and Cressida scowled at both of them.

"Unless Dionysus is somehow your father, which would be both disturbing and disgusting, you will leave the titles and introductions to me. I'm the child of theatre! And if you've got a problem with it, you can travel halfway around the world and find another! I'd be glad to go home and leave you two idiots to fight a hopeless battle."

Jason felt comfortable enough to laugh while Percy just kissed her cheek. "Wouldn't trade you for the world, Cress."

"That's what I thought," she pouted as she crossed her hands over her chest and the crowd awed. "And being the brother of Thalia Grace is an honour," she snapped at Jason as the giants raised the mountain above their heads.