Chapter 40

Fate was an extraordinary thing.

And despite their worries about Annabeth, Percy made a promise, and they were doing this for her. It was actually quite easy to forget what else was happening with their ADHD.

They held hands as they navigated the winding streets, dodging cars and crazy Vespa drivers, squeezing through mobs of tourists, and wading through oceans of pigeons. The day warmed up quickly. Once they got away from the car exhaust on the main roads, the air smelled of baking bread and freshly cut flowers.

And Percy was a perfect gentleman.

He'd wanted to buy her a flower but was pretty disappointed when he realised that they didn't have any Euros to spend. At least until Cressida pulled out the purple card her father gave her from her boot.

"I thought you left that in Long Island," Percy had said and she shrugged before she handed it to him.

"I thought I did too. But it appeared in my cabin last night after you fell asleep. I think Papa knew I'd need it," she said by way of explanation before he paid for the flower - a single rose that he presented her with. Cressida blushed as she took it, smelling it before he took it back, snapped the stem and tucked it behind her ear.

They went from place to place, each store and market equally as enticing and beautiful as the last. Some sold wine, others jams, flowers, bread, and just about anything else they could imagine.

Percy however, tugged her over to this little touristy stall that was covered in merchandise with the Italian flag on it.

And he'd found a tiny charm that he insisted he had to add to her charm bracelet to commemorate their first trip together and the fact that they made it to Italy.

Cressida had blushed again before speaking to the stall owner in Italian as she asked about the price and translated it for Percy to pay the man. He said thank you the way she'd taught him to and then happily attached the charm to her bracelet.

It felt like she was floating as he kissed her. She was standing in the city of Rome, in Italy, with the guy she loved. And for a split second, everything was perfect.

They were pulled apart by the vendor saying something else that made her smile grow.

"What did he say?" Percy wondered as she looked up at him.

"That the reason he wanted to have a stall like this was so loving couples like us could commemorate their adventures together. We've made his day by coming here."

Percy just kissed her again, before they both thanked the man and continued on.

The card then paid for some sodas that they sipped on as they walked through the streets of Rome, Percy with his arm around her as they simply enjoyed the moment, pointing out different things that caught their eye to one another.

As lunch rolled around, they found this cute little café near the Colosseum, with tables that looked over a river.

Even though it was noon, the place was empty. They picked a table outside by the river, and a waiter hurried over. He looked a bit surprised to see them—especially when they said they wanted lunch.

"American?" he asked, with a pained smile.

"Si," Cressida answered.

"And I'd love a pizza," Percy said.

The waiter looked like he was trying to swallow a euro coin. "Of course, you would, signor. And let me guess: a Coca-Cola? With ice?"

"Awesome," Percy said. He didn't understand why the guy was giving him such a sour face. It wasn't like Percy had asked for a blue Coke.