Chapter 80

Piper was moving through the crowd, smiling and filling wine glasses for the ghostly revellers. s. If she was afraid, she didn't show it. So far, the ghosts weren't paying her any special attention. Hazel's magic must have been working.

Over on the right, Annabeth collected empty plates and goblets. She wasn't smiling, more like she was analysing everything and Cressida would brush past her, hastily reminding her to do so as she did.

You wouldn't think Cressida was dealing with so much with the way she smiled and weaved through suitors, brushing her hands across their shoulders and leaning across them to fill their glasses. She'd been getting attention the second she showed up, so she played into it, suitor after suitor calling for her to fill their glasses and hoping to shoot their shot. Yeah, Piper was the daughter of the goddess of love and beauty, but Cressida's father was the god of pleasure and Jason felt like desire was included in that. And she definitely looked desirable as she floated through the ghosts without a care in the world.

Jason remembered the talk he, Piper and Annabeth had with Percy before they left the ship. Percy had stayed aboard to watch for threats from the sea in addition to trying to get over this separation anxiety that the two of them understandably had, but that didn't mean he liked the idea of Cressida going on this expedition without him.

So he'd pulled the three of them aside.

"Cress would kill me if I suggested she needed anybody to protect her," he'd said.

The three of them had laughed.

"Yeah, she would," Jason agreed.

"She has said to you that she doesn't need a protector," Annabeth recalled.

"But just, please look out for her, ok?" he pleaded, and Annabeth squeezed his hand while Jason squeezed his shoulder.

"We got her back," Annabeth assured him.

"If anything, she's got ours," Piper said and they were inclined to agree.

"We'll make sure she gets back to you, safely," Jason promised, yet now he was wondering if he could keep that promise.

Jason reached the edge of the crowd.

A raspy voice cried, "IROS!" Antinous, the ghoul with the arrow in his throat, was staring right at him. "Is that you, you old beggar?"

Hazel's magic did its work. Cold air rippled across Jason's face as the Mist subtly altered his appearance, showing the suitors what they expected to see.

"That's me!" Jason said, trying to project confidence as Cressida had told him to. "Iros!"

He hobbled forward, putting on his best cranky old-man expression. "Guess I'm late to the party. I hope you saved me some food?"

One of the ghosts sneered in disgust. "Ungrateful old panhandler. Should I kill him, Antinous?"

Antinous regarded him for three counts, then chuckled. "I'm in a good mood today. Come, Iros, join me at my table."

He sat across from Antinous while more ghosts crowded around, not really having much of a choice.

Antinous snapped his fingers and there was Cressida at his side, presenting him with a golden goblet and a platter of food that Antinous slid it across the table.

"Will that be all, my lord?" she asked sweetly, and he waved her away.

"Yes, yes. Away with you."

"I'll take some wine, sweetheart," cooed another ghost and as much as it made her skin crawl, she didn't let it show as she turned her smile onto the ghost.