Chapter 24

Percy dreamt about the twin giants about how they were waiting for July first, the Kalends of July, a sacred day for Juno to destroy them. And then there was the jar. The jar that someone was locked inside and that they needed alive as bait for the eight who he assumed were the eight demigods of the prophecy.

Nico.

The container was completely sealed. The air was turning poisonous. Nico's eyes were closed, his breathing shallow. He appeared to be meditating. His face was pale, and thinner than Percy remembered. On the inner wall of the jar, it looked as though Nico had scratched three hash marks with his sword—maybe it had been three days that he'd been imprisoned? It didn't seem possible he could have survived so long without suffocating. Even in a dream, Percy was already starting to feel panicky, struggling to get enough oxygen. Then he noticed something between Nico's feet—a small collection of glistening objects no bigger than baby teeth. Seeds, Percy realized. Pomegranate seeds. Three had been eaten and spit out. Five were still encased in dark red pulp.

But then suddenly the panicky feeling that was building inside Percy was washed away by a wave of calm as his lips tingled and the image in front of him dissolved.

When his eyes fluttered open, he was nearly blinded with a purple light before it faded and he realised that Cressida was kissing him, using her powers to calm him down even in his nightmare as he closed his eyes and threaded his fingers through her hair as he kissed her back.

"Are you ok?" she asked when she finally pulled away. Her face was a little flushed as her hair hung down the right side of her face. She always slept with it out because she knew that Percy liked the smell of it as they usually woke up with her back to his chest and his face nearly covered in her hair. It was strange, but then again, so was he.

"Yeah," he breathed. "Bad dream. Are we there yet?"

She rolled her eyes, her indigo irises bright even in the dark which should've answered his question. "It's the middle of the night Barnacle Brain," she said before he saw amusement light up her eyes. "And I find it funny that you'll be seventeen in a couple months and yet you still drool in your sleep. Books is going to love that."

Percy rolled his eyes as he wiped his mouth and then kissed her as if that was a punishment. "You're supposed to be on my side."

"And what will I get in return?"

"My love."

"Already got it. Give me something else."

"I don't know. What do you want?"

Percy watched as she thought about it for a moment before her face lit up with an idea. "Come with me," she said as she yanked the covers off and jumped out of his bed, not bothering to put her shoes on.

"Where are we going?" he asked as she reached the door.

"After everything, you still have no sense of adventure. Why can't your answer be, Let's go? Or right behind you?"

Percy rolled his eyes. "Can I be right behind you after I brush my teeth?"

She gave him a bored look. "We've been on quests together where neither of us has showered for weeks and I just kissed you with drool on your face for probably the millionth time, but sure, brush your teeth first."

"You're ridiculous," Percy chuckled and it felt good to laugh.

"And yet, you love me anyway."

And with that, she headed across the hall to her cabin.

******************************************************************

When Percy knocked on her door later and peeked his head inside, he didn't see her. "Cress?"