Chapter 52

Small problem with that plan (well maybe it was a bit bigger than small, and it was only the first problem they encountered) because they had to climb down the cliff that dropped more than eighty feet.

At the bottom stretched a nightmarish version of the Grand Canyon: a river of fire cutting a path through a jagged obsidian crevasse, the glowing red current casting horrible shadows across the cliff faces. Even from the top of the canyon, the heat was intense. It at least helped with their chills a little bit.

"Uh..." Percy examined the cliff. He pointed to a tiny fissure running diagonally from the edge to the bottom. "We can try that ledge there. Might be able to climb down."

"You're getting better at your acting," she said. "You almost sounded hopeful that time."

And the corners of his lips turned up as he shook his head at her.

Percy went first. The ledge was barely wide enough to allow a toehold. Their hands clawed for any crack in the glassy rock.

Percy's t-shirt that Cressida wore had come undone from its knot at some stage, but that was good because it reminded her that she had extra material to work with. She ripped a strip of it off, wrapping it around her and Percy's hands to try and prevent their palms from bleeding anymore and getting cut on the rocks. But their bodies were still weak, and blisters were beginning to form on their skin from being exposed to the Tartarus air.

A few steps below her, Percy grunted as he reached for another handhold. "So...what is this fire river called?"

"The Phlegethon," she said. "I would never have remembered it if I hadn't made that joke about Greek History Class."

"So technically I'm the one that's saving us by never paying attention in Greek History Class?" Percy said cheekily.

"Only you, my love, would try and turn your ignorance into brilliance...not that this is a brilliant idea. But on the bright side, if it doesn't work, you can have all the credit then."

"That's just mean," Percy moped. "But I must say, I appreciated one of my titles from before being the love of your life. Really boosted my ego."

"I'm surprised you can fit in this cavern with how big it is."

She could feel him grin from below her.

"Also," he said. "What's with these names? The Phlegethon?" He shimmied along the ledge. They'd made it roughly halfway down the cliff—still high enough up to die if they fell - but at least bickering with Percy passed the time. "Sounds like a marathon for hawking spitballs."

"Please don't make me laugh," she said.

"Just trying to keep things light."

"Thanks," she grunted, nearly missing the ledge with her foot as she hugged the cliff. "I'll have a smile on my face as I plummet to my death, but at least I'll love you for making me laugh."

"As you should," he said, and she nearly missed a foothold again as she chuckled.

"I hate you."

"Liar. You literally just said you love me. I have a tough time believing that you hate me too."

"Depends on my mood."

"Really feeling the love, Cress."

"As you should, Percy, I mean, I literally just said I hate you."

"Thanks for that. That's exactly what I need right now. The woman I jumped into hell for saying she hates me."

"You're really gonna milk this whole jumping into hell for me thing, aren't you?"