Chapter 53

Cressida loved her father. She really did. But as she walked into the depths of Tartarus, she silently cursed at him for being the god of things that really wouldn't help them now. Madness - she was more than capable of driving herself crazy with what if's and why her questions. Theatre - there wasn't much an actress could do down here, and shining a spotlight on them (a talent she had no idea she could do until she did it back in the Colosseum) would just be an invitation for all the monsters in Tartarus to come and kill them. Wine - she wasn't even old enough to drink the stuff yet, (though she felt like drinking a gallon of the stuff despite that stupid rule) not that it would help, and they were way too far underneath the earth for her to summon her grapevines. Parties - she could throw a rocking funeral for them before they died probably. Pleasure - there was no room in Tartarus for anything but pain.

She was useless.

Even her countless years spent taking strategy classes and warfare lessons were useless right now because she couldn't string together a decent plan - she couldn't string together anything other than the fact that she was useless actually.

The fiery water of the Phlegethon had healed them and given them strength, but it didn't do anything for hunger or thirst. Then again, it wasn't really made for that. It just kept you going so you could experience more excruciating pain. 

She was ridiculously exhausted, and she couldn't remember the last time she slept. She also doubted that sleeping in Tartarus would give her anything other than nightmares.

She and Percy were leaning on each other, both of them drained.

Then she heard them— female voices having some sort of argument—and she was instantly alert. She whispered, "Get down!"

She pushed him behind the nearest boulder, both of them so close to the edge of the fiery river as their shoes nearly touched the fire.

On the other side, in the narrow path between the river and the cliffs, voices snarled, getting louder as they approached from upstream.

Assuming that every other presence was an enemy was the safest thing to do because she doubted that they killed any friendly monsters that got sent down here. Monsters could also smell demigods and Percy was a son of Poseidon which mean he reeked but Cressida was no better. She radiated the smell of grapes, the smell of Dionysus, more strongly than her siblings because of her powers, because she was the daughter of Dionysus. Percy had always liked the smell, but now it was a disadvantage - them just being down here was a disadvantage, the biggest disadvantage you could ever have as a matter of fact.

Then the monsters got nearer and their voices clearer.

"Soon?" one of them asked in a raspy voice as if she'd been gargling in the Phlegethon. 

"Oh my gods!" said another voice. This one sounded much younger and much more human, like a teenage mortal girl getting exasperated with her friends at the mall. She actually sounded kind of familiar. "You guys are totally annoying! I told you, it's like three days from here." 

Percy gripped her elbow. He looked at her with alarm, as if he recognized the mall girl's voice too. He brought her ear down to his lips before he whispered so softly as if he was afraid she'd find them if he said her name. "Kelli."

And alarm bells went off in her head as she remembered the empousai, the vampire girl she had the unfortunate pleasure of meeting while they were in the Labyrinth two years ago. She was also the one that blew up Percy's school and introduced her to Rachel Elizabeth Dare. Oh, what Cressida wouldn't give to be back in New York, arguing with her almost-boyfriend on the street.

"I wonder," said a third voice, gravelly and ancient like the first, "if perhaps you do not know the way, young one."

"Oh, shut your fang hole, Serephone," said Kelli. "When's the last time you escaped to the mortal world? I was there a couple of years ago. I know the way! Besides, I understand what we're facing up there. You don't have a clue!"

"The Earth Mother did not make you boss!" shrieked a fourth voice.

More hissing, scuffling, and feral moans—like giant alley cats fighting.

At last, the one called Serephone yelled, "Enough!" The scuffling died down. "We will follow for now," Serephone said. "But if you do not lead us well, if we find you have lied about the summons of Gaia—"

"I don't lie!" snapped Kelli. "Believe me, I've got good reason to get into this battle. I have some enemies to devour, and you'll feast on the blood of heroes. Just leave one special morsel for me—the one named Percy Jackson."

And now it was Cressida's turn to get protective as she bit back a snarl and wanted nothing more than to jump over the boulder and impale the vampire on her spear. And Percy knew that which was why he kept a firm grip on her as she scowled at him which he took as her thanking him for once again saving her. 

"Believe me. Gaia has called us, and we're going to have so much fun. Before this war is over, mortals and demigods will tremble at the sound of my name—Kelli!"

Percy's face seemed to pale at that.

Cressida had actually been the one to kill her back at Dedalus' workshop, and then Percy had yelled at her for nearly hitting him with her spear, even though her aim was flawless.

The creatures shuffled off, their voices getting fainter.

Cressida risked a peak around the boulder, Percy still gripping her hips tightly in case she did try to take on the empousai. Sure enough, five women staggered along on mismatched legs—mechanical bronze on the left, shaggy and cloven-hooved on the right. Their hair was made of fire, their skin as white as bone. Most of them wore tattered Ancient Greek dresses, except for the one in the lead, Kelli, who wore a burned and torn blouse with a short, pleated skirt...her cheerleader's outfit.

Cressida had fought many monsters made famous in Greek History and the more obscure ones, but she had a particular hatred towards empousai. No one but Coach knew it, but they were the first monsters she ever faced.

Almost ten years ago, she'd been scared and running away from her house and the police that were asking questions about her mother's death when she'd hidden in an alleyway. An alleyway where two empousai tried their luck. She was scared, with no way to control her powers and with a single touch, she'd driven them insane. It was in that alleyway that Gleeson had found her.

And now this one had manipulated Luke into darker and more evil deeds in the name of Kronos and she wanted to try and kill the man she loved - again. Oh, she was asking to get impaled.

Percy rose. "They're heading for the Doors of Death," he murmured. "You know what that means?"

Cressida sighed disappointedly. "It means I can't kill them because we have to follow them. Fan-freaking-tastic."