Chapter 75

Percy had groaned awake first, still barely able to move but he was able to take in what was happening. He was able to warn Hazel that the doors were still chained on this side as she fought, and the giant continued to boast and brag.

Leo was force-feeding Cressida ambrosia as Percy shook his head when he'd tried to offer it to him. He'd been awake, struggling to move his head, much less the rest of his body, but Cressida was still out of it, she needed it more than he did.

Hazel threw her sword—not at the giant, but at the Doors of Death. The chains on the right side shattered. Hazel collapsed in agony, her side burning, as the Doors shuddered and disappeared in a flash of purple light.

Clytius roared so loudly that a half dozen stelae fell from the ceiling and shattered.

"That was for my brother, Nico," Hazel gasped. "And for destroying my father's altar."

You have forfeited your right to a quick death, the giant snarled. I will suffocate you in darkness, slowly, painfully. Hecate cannot help you. NO ONE can help you!

The goddess raised her torches. "I would not be so certain, Clytius. Hazel's friends simply needed a little time to reach her—time you have given them with your boasting and bragging."

Clytius snorted. What friends? These weaklings? They are no challenge.

In front of Hazel, the air rippled. The Mist thickened, creating a doorway, and five people stepped through.

Hazel wept with relief.

Frank's arm was bleeding and bandaged, but he was alive. Next to him stood Nico, Piper, Jason and Annabeth—all with their swords drawn (Annabeth's being one of the many spare weapons they had on the ship, but it still didn't feel right in her hands).

"Sorry we're late," Jason said. "Is this the guy who needs killing?"

Annabeth had taken one look over her shoulder before seeing her fallen friends and she met Percy's eyes as hers widened, and she turned on the giant. She raised her stupid sword, and she channelled all the rage, the grief and the guilt she'd felt in the last month they'd been gone, every negative emotion, and she let out an enraged battle cry as she lunged at the giant and her friends followed.

They attacked him from every direction—Leo shooting fire at his legs, Frank and Piper jabbing at his chest, Jason flying into the air and kicking him in the face. Hazel was proud to see how well Piper remembered her sword-fighting lessons. Annabeth fought almost demonically as she slashed and stabbed and hacked at the giant. Each time the giant's smoky veil started creeping around one of them, Nico was there, slashing through it, drinking in the darkness with his Stygian blade before he pulled out a vial of golden liquid that he tossed to Leo who handed it to Percy who poured it down Cressida's throat.

Percy was awake and on his feet, weak and dazed but he had his sword in one hand as he hauled Cressida onto her feet. She was leaning heavily on Percy and her eyes were still fighting to stay open as her hand reached for her sword - when did she get a sword, Hazel didn't know but she appreciated the fact that they wanted to help even though there was no need because the giant was already surrounded.

Clytius snarled, turning back and forth as if he couldn't decide which of them to kill first. Wait! Hold still! No! Ouch!

The darkness around him dispelled completely, leaving nothing to protect him except his battered armour. Ichor oozed from a dozen wounds. The damage healed almost as fast as it was inflicted, but Hazel could tell the giant was tiring.

One last time Jason flew at him, kicking him in the chest, and the giant's breastplate shattered.

Clytius staggered backward. His sword dropped to the floor. He fell to his knees, and the demigods encircled him. Only then did Hecate step forward, her torches raised. Mist curled around the giant, hissing and bubbling as it touched his skin.