Chapter 31

They didn't make it to the ship.

Halfway across the dock, three giant eagles descended in front of them. Each deposited a Roman commando in purple and denim with glittering gold armour, sword, and shield. The eagles flew away, and the Roman in the middle, who was scrawnier than the others, raised his visor.

"Surrender to Rome!" Octavian shrieked.

Hazel drew her cavalry sword and grumbled, "Fat chance, Octavian."

Annabeth cursed while Cressida had the audacity to bust out laughing. "You really think you can take us?"

"Can we try peace first?" Piper asked as she raised her hands in a placating gesture. "Octavian, what happened at camp was a setup. We can explain."

"Can't hear you!" Octavian yelled. "Wax in our ears—standard procedure when battling evil sirens. Now, throw down your weapons and turn around slowly so I can bind your hands."

"Let me skewer him," Hazel muttered. "Please."

"Oh, no," Cressida said as she walked forward casually. "I have a better idea."

She made no move to draw her spear or use her fire as she walked halfway between them and the Romans, the Romans backing up slightly as Octavian's friends brandished their swords.

"Surrender, girl!" he spat at her, and her eyes burst into flames for dramatic effect.

"If you're going to brand us enemies," she said, her head angling to the side. "You have to know your enemies. For example, I'm the daughter of Dionysus. And these are my friends that you are threatening. I'm rather dangerous when annoyed and another god just royally pissed me off and we won't be going anywhere with you."

And grapevines burst out of the Charleston harbour as they wrapped around the three Romans, holding them tight.

Octavian began hurling insults and threats if they didn't let them go as they struggled, and all Cressida did was wave her hand as another vine grew to wrap around his mouth.

"I've been wanting to do that since I came back to life," Hazel grinned as Cressida turned back to her friends.

"Shall we?" Cressida asked as she gestured to the ship and the Charleston harbour erupted.

A wall of saltwater washed over the Romans as Cressida felt her grapevines sink back into the sea floor and she let them because while the other girls wore looks of horror on their faces, she just rolled her eyes as she put her hands on her hips and the water began to recede.

When the wall of seawater subsided, the three Romans were in the bay, spluttering and frantically trying to stay afloat in their armour.

Percy stood on the dock with a grin on his face.

"I felt your vines. Thought you could use a hand," he said as his girlfriend walked over to him.

"I had it under control, but that's sweet," she said as she kissed his cheek.

"Guys," Hazel interrupted. She had a little smile on her face. "We need to hurry."

Down in the water, Octavian yelled, "Get me out of here! I'll kill you!"

"Tempting," Percy called down.

"What?" Octavian shouted. He was holding on to one of his guards, who was having trouble keeping them both afloat.

"Nothing!" Percy shouted back. "Let's go, guys."

Hazel frowned. "We can't let them drown, can we?"

"Sure we can," Cressida said and Percy just elbowed her arm.

"They won't," Percy promised. "I've got the water circulating around their feet. As soon as we're out of range, I'll spit them ashore."